external voltage regulator

Previous topic - Next topic

SailingJerry

I have a 1990 Catalina 34 with the Universal M35 diesel. I need a new external voltage regulator, my old one is fried. I had a NextStep Regulator that has an on/off feature built in, temperature sensor to automatically compensate battery voltage;an output to drive a parallel solenoid which connects the house and starter batteries during charge;an input signal to limit the absorption voltage when halogen lights are on;an input signal that holds the regulator at the absorption setpoint .

Any suggestions for a new one? Does anyone use the NextStep 2? This was installed by PO.

Jerry
There is NOTHING--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.    Kenneth Grahame

mainesail

-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Stu Jackson

Agree with the MC-614.

Please check out the Electrical Systems 101 topic, which includes a number of discussions about external regulators.  None of them include the Next Step, though, because it was a pretty rare bird on the C34s that reported on external regulators, and was "new" before they started making C34s.  I remember reading the Ample literature when we bought Aquavite in 1998, and their stuff was way ahead of its time.  And good, too.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

SailingJerry

Thanks, prices are similar with the Nextstep but C34 always steers me in the right direction.

One more question. On my Nextstep, there is a hookup wire that says "on/off". Over the summer I installed a simple 3 pole voltage regulator when mine crapped out during a 2 week sailing trip. Only problem was I had a short because it had no "on/off" provision and there was always current going to the alternator. It constantly drained my house batteries.  It even sucked amps when I had the battery switch on "off".  Does the Balmar have something that stops the reverse current draw when the motor is not running like an on/off? I looked at the website and they may have it, but might be a different name. I'm thinking "ignition"?
There is NOTHING--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.    Kenneth Grahame