Companionway Stairs

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve_in_lex

I just started refinishing my companionway stairs and have sanded the steps down to the bare wood.  When I test the final appearance by wiping turnpentine on the wood, it looks noticeably darker than the original, covered wood.  In order to be consistent, it seems like I'll have to take the sides of the stairs down to bare wood too...tripling the project.  Any idea why the bare wood would be darker than the original, factory-varnished wood?  Usually it's the other way around.

Thanks
Steve Saudek
2005 C-34 MK II
"Brisa"

Ron Hill

Steve : I surely wouldn't put varnish on the steps treads - too slippery when wet!!  I know of a number of accidents that were caused by slipping off a step!

A number of us have put strips of anti-skid (sticky backed) on the treads - for a good footing!  There are Mainsheet tech note pictures of those strips installed - look in WiKi.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Steve_in_lex

Thanks Ron, I was wondering about that.  I was thinking semi-gloss varnish with a non-skid strip near the end. Suggestions for a better sealant?
Steve Saudek
2005 C-34 MK II
"Brisa"

Ron Hill

Steve : Here's what I did.
I put the antiskid strips on the outside tread, except I used two treads on the top step and two treads on the bottom step.  I used lacquer thinner to clean all the natural oil from the tread before I stuck them in place. 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

patrice

Hi,

I used teak oil to re-finish mine after a good sanding, cleaning.

And also, filled the grooves in each step with silicone.
Also in the wiki.

1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

SailingJerry

Quote from: patrice on January 18, 2016, 05:10:27 AM
Hi,

I used teak oil to re-finish mine after a good sanding, cleaning.

And also, filled the grooves in each step with silicone.
Also in the wiki.

i heartily recommend the teak oil approach. Takes dirt and sand punishment better and easy to remedy scratches.
There is NOTHING--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.    Kenneth Grahame

mregan

I refinished mine with Epifanes Gloss Clear Varnish.  Plus 2 strips of anti skid on each step and filled in the grooves with black sealant.

Noah

Sounds like a lot of stuff going on with your ladder. How to you touch-up/maintain the gloss varnish with the non-skid strips AND sealant in grooves?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

sailaway

Did it stop them from  making noise my steps squeak I have tried new screws but they still squeak. Glueing them might be the answer but I hate to. Charlie

Noah

Long running battle...try some plastic shims (teflon ) under the ladder feet. Also some have just delegated a "crew member" who's duty is to just stand on the ladder ALL THE TIME!!  Solves engine vibration issue too! :D
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

patrice

Hi,

For the squeacking noise, I put some felt under the lower section, wood rubbing on the floor.  And under the top section.
Solved the issue.

It is the felt that you get to put under home furniture.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Wayne

Catalina used a water based stain/sealer (I have a 2006) which lightened the wood.  Contact Catalina Direct; they can fix you up with the matching factory product.
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

Roc

Catalina uses Target Coatings waterbased sealer for the interior teak.  I know because I've called Target Coatings and they've sent me a quart of the waterbased product that Catalina gets from them.  There are a few waterbased products and I can't remember which one.  If you call them, they can tell you which one to order.  It's about $25 per quart, including the shipping.  Very easy to use.
http://targetcoatings.com/

Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Steve_in_lex

Thanks, Wayne and Roc.  I think I'll do that -- replicate the original finish.  It worked well for 10 years, and makes it easier to keep a uniform appearance when I don't have the entire piece stripped down to bare wood.  I like others' ideas about either paste-on strips or the sealant in the grooves.  All very helpful.  Fortunately it's still January so I have some time to trick this baby out.

Steve
Steve Saudek
2005 C-34 MK II
"Brisa"

Rortega46

Steve, Roc & Wayne:

I'm getting ready to refinish my stairs and like your plan of using the sealer Catalina used originally.  I have a few questions for you experienced guys. 

Did you do both horizontal and vertical parts, or just the horizontal stair treads? 
How did you strip and prep the stairs prior to applying sealer?
How did you clean and prep the grooves? 
How many coats of sealer did you apply?
How did the finish hold up over time?

Thanks in advance for your reply.
Randy Ortega
2001 MKII Hull # 1532 M35BC
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA