Join the C34 Association Today!
[C34 Home] [C34Tech Notes] [C34 Tech Wiki] [Join!]
Please login or register.
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Companionway Stairs  (Read 3550 times)

Stu Jackson

• C34IA - Secretary
  • Forum - Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy
    • View Profile
Re: Companionway Stairs
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2019, 09:07:17 AM »

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
How did you clean and prep the grooves? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

There was an old tech note on filling the grooves with minwax, a light color that would match the holly in the sole.  We did that in 1998.  Still working.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Craig Illman

• Forum - Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2019, 12:59:28 PM »

I filled my grooves with leftover black Dow 795 from doing the fixed portlights.

Craig

Breakin Away

• Forum - Petty Officer 1st Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2019, 09:48:05 PM »

Catalina uses Target Coatings waterbased sealer for the interior teak.  I know because I've called Target Coatings and they've sent me a quart of the waterbased product that Catalina gets from them.  There are a few waterbased products and I can't remember which one.  If you call them, they can tell you which one to order.  It's about $25 per quart, including the shipping.  Very easy to use.
http://targetcoatings.com/
I spoke to Warren at Catalina last May and he essentially said this too. If you have a late model MkII with the lighter wood finishes, it is very important NEVER to use an oil stain (like tung) or any oil-based varnish. Once you do that, the wood will be permanently darkened yielding a poor match. He said that the waterbased Minwax Polycrylic should get a similar finish also, although the Target products are waterbased polyester (not acrylic), so your best match will be achieved with the Target products that CatalinaDirect sells. They have a very thorough writeup the history of Catalina's finishing techniques here:

https://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/feature/192/interior-finish-history.cfm

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Rortega46

• Forum - Petty Officer 3rd Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2019, 09:06:10 AM »

Thanks Breakin Away.  Thereís some really good info via the Catalina Direct link you posted.  Good to know what Catalina used historically for wood finishing. Iíve ordered some Target semi-gloss to spruce up companionway stairs.
Randy & Karla Ortega
2001 MKII Hull # 1532 M35BC
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA

Ron Hill

• Forum - Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2019, 03:21:56 PM »

GUYs : Again - what ever you do to your steps, put some water on them and test so they are NOT slippery.

I know of a 1st Mate that took a "header" down those wet steps hitting the buildup around the galley sink.  It wasn't pretty!!
The steps are not a piece of fine furniture, but should be safe and functional!!

A thought
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 02:12:44 PM by Ron Hill »
Ron, Apache #788

Steve_in_lex

• Forum - Petty Officer 3rd Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2019, 03:51:57 PM »

Totally agree.  Cosmetics are cosmetic, but non-skid strips are safe.
Steve Saudek
2005 C-34 MK II
"Brisa"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up