Well we've done it now

Previous topic - Next topic

Mas Tequila

I have to say that we absolutely love our 34 and she has been a fantastic boat for us and has never let us down. During the summer we spend about a month in the North Channel and then shorter trips which tend to run for a week or two at a time. We have plans on cutting the lines in a year and plan to sail full time to little islands with palm trees. We felt that in some ways our 34 might not be the best boat for us for that purpose even though we certainly have seen a number of people doing just that in much less capable boats. A few things we wish we had would be more storage, water tankage, and a walk through transom. There are a few other minor things but those are the bigger ones.

So...we made an offer which was accepted on a Beneteau 440. She is the 2 cabin model which we really like the layout of. She's a very clean boat and has very low hours on her. The survey is scheduled for next week and we are expecting that to go very well. We actually saw the boat a couple of years ago while visiting my son at his marina and it just stood out as a boat someone took very good care of. Anyway, long story short it came up for sale and we were really impressed how clean it really was when we looked at it. We talked about it and threw out a low ball offer which we never expected to be accepted but of course, it was. We learned recently that the owner was in a position that he really needed to sell but I won't go into that here.

So I'm finding that I'm more apprehensive than excited. Our 34 is going to my son and I've threatened his very life if he hurts our baby. The one thing that really has me so apprehensive is I'm finding the support for Beneteau's is nowhere near the support for Catalinas. The support I have found here has been amazing!!! There hasn't been a question about any part of our boat that hasn't been answered and there is so much information available that I received answers to questions I didn't even know to ask. Catalina yachts have been so helpful every time I've called them and I even received an email the other day from them asking how things turned out after the damage we suffered last year turned out and if they could be of any more help. What I am fast finding out is there isn't anywhere near the same kind of support when it comes to Beneteau.

We'll see how it all turns out and I'll let you all know. As for now I still own our 34 and you can rest assured that it isn't going anywhere until I'm comfortible with this 44.
Positive Latitude
1986 MKI hull # 11
Frankfort, MI

Bill Shreeves

Congrats! :clap

We'll definitely miss you on this forum!  Hopefully your son is a chip off the old block and picks up the baton your passing to him.
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Paulus

Kent, the best to you and your better half.  I hope that you follow your dream.
Take care,
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Roc

I really don't think you have to leave this forum.  Yes, Beneteau has different nuances, but it's a sailboat with the same systems (pumps, engine, sails, batteries, mast, rudder, etc....).  Any solution would probably be similar, if not, it will point you in the right direction.  All the best with the new boat!
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Noah

Plus, we would all appreciate your continued feedback and experience regarding C34-specific subjects going forward.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Phil Spicer

Checked out the 440. Nice boat. Hope your survey goes well. As you know, you can always ask questions here.
The knowledge base here is outstanding.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Patches

Congratulations, and good choice.  I have a friend from Hawaii who bought a 440 in Trinidad, sailed through the Caribbean, up to Bermuda, over to the Med, and back to the Caribbean.  He did it with his high school age boys and one of their friends. They found the boat very capable for their chosen adventure.

Patches

Mas Tequila

I'm not planning on leaving the forum and we will still have our 34 at least until my son comes up with a large stack of the green folding stuff. Even then you'll still have to put up with me, the knowledge base here is way too valuable to ignore.
Positive Latitude
1986 MKI hull # 11
Frankfort, MI

Ken Juul

Nice boat.  A friend has a similar 42 or 43.  Unless they have changed the system, you will miss the engine fuel self bleed that the 34 has.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA