Finally a microwave

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil Spicer

Late last summer we went to a big box store that has a good marine section. My wife found a stack of small microwaves
marked $ 29.95. She said it may be time to put one on the boat. I think it took more time to pick a location than to do the install.
The post supports the nav station & keeps the microwave in place when under sail. Guest life jackets slide under the shelf and up behind the microwave for storage. Pull one out and another slides down. This is a good addition.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

lazybone

So my wife has me on a low carb diet... no popcorn.  What else can I use my microwave for?
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Craig Illman

A package of microwave popcorn is equal to about two slices of bread, it's pretty low actually.

Stu Jackson

Phil, very nice work and a great use of space.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Phil Spicer

Thanks Stu. Wife does her morning tea and oatmeal much faster than on the stove. If you can cook something on a stove top, you may be able
to cook it in a microwave...if you are dock side.  We do a lit of steamed veggies.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

lazybone

Quote from: Craig Illman on January 15, 2016, 12:03:09 PM
A package of microwave popcorn is equal to about two slices of bread, it's pretty low actually.

I'm not even allowed to say the word... bread.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

David Sanner

Quote from: lazybone on January 15, 2016, 08:35:21 AM
So my wife has me on a low carb diet... no popcorn.  What else can I use my microwave for?

Heating up coffee! 
David Sanner, #611 1988, "Queimada" San Francisco Bay

lazybone

Quote from: David Sanner on February 09, 2016, 01:59:55 PM

Heating up coffee!

Coffee in a microwave?
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Braxton

We use ours to test that the shore power is plugged in and operating correctly.   It rarely ever cooks anything.
Braxton Allport
1988 #805, Ballou - Tacoma WA

Stu Jackson

Quote from: lazybone on February 09, 2016, 03:11:50 PM
Quote from: David Sanner on February 09, 2016, 01:59:55 PM

Heating up coffee!

Coffee in a microwave?

But, of course.   :party

One has to actually MAKE the coffee first, you understand... :rolling

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jim Hardesty

I installed an inverter and can run my microwave off the batteries.  Ramen noodles on a cold day are good. :D
Or sometimes grab an egg mcmuffen and an early start to a sail, then nuke the breakfast when settled down. :thumb:
FWIW have a small Kurig coffee maker (also works on inverter) find it makes great coffee with no mess.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Jim, what size is your inverter?

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Jim Hardesty

Quotewhat size is your inverter?

It's a Xantrex PRO XM 1800  That's 1800 watts it just handles the standard factory microwave.  It didn't work till I removed the light bulb inside the micowave.   I'm happy with the way it works.  Doesn't seem too bad on the batteries.   Probably because it only gets used for a short time.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

mark_53

Interesting but redundant addition. I use that space for my legs when at the chart table or temp storage of a cooler or backpacks. Somehow I can find 3 minutes to heat water on the stove.

lazybone

Quote from: mark_53 on February 20, 2016, 07:06:31 AM
Interesting but redundant addition. I use that space for my legs when at the chart table or temp storage of a cooler or backpacks. Somehow I can find 3 minutes to heat water on the stove.

Your lying, it takes at least 4 minutes.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677