Marine AC

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve McGill

Ed,

I installed the 16K Flagship 3-4 summers ago. We enjoy the electric heat both in the spring and fall, but also when my boat is hauled for the winter. When doing small tasks on the hard the heat is a wlecome addition.

I built a shelf and installed under the V-berth. There is more vibration then I would like and I have tried numerous rubber type pads under the pan. We sleep in the V-berth from April thru Novenber unless we have a guests and we then retire to the aft cabin.

My original plan was to instll it unter the forward settee and glassed in a shelf for it. On my 5 time measuring I determined that the 16K unit would not fit in the settee opening. I needed less than 1/2". I could have cut back on lip holding the wood cover for the access, but went with the v-berth.

We use the locker by the nav table with roll out shelving and did not want to give up this valuable (to us) space.

I ran duct work to just above the shelf and under the galley sink. with a fan the aft berth is livable.

I have a total of three vents, the one by the galley sink and two into the main cabin. I originally had one into the v-berth, but found that while it got down to 55 degrees it did a better job in the main cabin and the v-berth also cooled down. With our selves or guests we normally never close off the v-berth.

Good luck,

Steve
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

Ekutney

Do you have a.left side discharge?

Regarding fwd settee; Is the height issue because of the box for the electric heat

Do you have any pictures of your installation?
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Steve McGill

Ed,

The issue I had with the forward settee was the width or the unit . I should have made a wood or cardboard box of the full size to begin with and I would have seen that the size was close , but 1/2" off. Who would have thought that there would be any issue on a boat.
All of my ducting is on the starboard side, my discharge is in the v-birth locker and is 7" above the water line. Isued my salt water foot pump
near the galley sink  for my input.

For my v-birth install I made a shelf in glassed it in. I mounted the thermostat in the nave table area.

Steve
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

Jim Hardesty

QuoteThere is more vibration then I would like and I have tried numerous rubber type pads under the pan.

Ed,
I had more vibration then I would like when I installed my Ocean Breeze AC.  I called the excellent factory support and got instructions on rebalancing the unit.  They said it got bumped in shipping.  Don't remember the instructions exactly but it was simply loosen then retighten the compressor mounting screws when the unit was running.  Made a real difference.  Might be worth a call to Flagship.

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Roc

Steve
I've been interested in the Flagship unit for the same reason as you.  Electric heat when on the hard...  What made you choose the Flagship over the similar Ocean Breeze unit?  Also, does the Flagship have a quiet compressor?  I've read the info on their website and it looks like a well made unit.  But I would like to know what you have experienced as a real time user of the unit.

Thanks
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ekutney

Roc,

I have the same question regarding Ocean Breeze vs Flagship, both units have electric heat instead of reverse cycle.  Seems that will be an advantage of not using the compressor in the heat mode and as you stated being able to use it while on the hard.  I just got a recent quote for both, OC $2000 vs FS $2500, including install kit for both.  FS website does made it sound like they focus on quality and EXPANSION VALVES VS. CAPILLARY TUBES, any AC experts out there have a comment?

It would seem a $500 price delta needs justification but when I talked to FS and asked he gave me attitude saying read the web site.  Customer service is a very important aspect of any vendor I work with because I deal with customers each and every day.

Jim,
You seem happy with your OB unit, how long have you had it?

Steve,
The 16.7K OB unit is 13 in W vs 16.5K FS 14.6 W, this could make install in the fwd starboard settee possible per Jim's input.

Still going through analysis paralysis trying to decide.  Also found a 3yr old 16K OB unit on EBay with an opening bid of $545.  Very stingy with my boat bucks.

Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Jim Hardesty

QuoteYou seem happy with your OB unit, how long have you had it?

Ed,
I've had the AC for 4 seasons.  I am happy with the Ocean Breeze unit.  Don't think I'd do anything different if I did it over again.  I do like the electric heat.  I did find it desirable to install companionway doors (Zorcor).   Using the drop boards to keep the cool in was a pain.

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ekutney

Jim,

Thanks for the info, I think the Ocean Breeze units make good sense.  I've been able to find a good deal of positive comments and the idea of real heat...

I found a post with a pic of companionway doors, looks nice.

http://images50.fotki.com/v1525/photos/3/31944/76563/Hatchdoors1-vi.jpg

Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

Edmund Burke

Ken Juul

Been out of the country, chiming in late.  IIRC the OB units can be ordered with the output ducts fore/aft or on either side.  I like the Zarcor doors, but didn't like the price.  I got a half sheet of 1/4" plexiglass from lowes and made a drop in window for the companionway.  Keeps heat/cool in the cabin, but if wanted lets light in also.  I have a sunbrella flap that covers it if shade/privacy in needed.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ekutney

Ken,
I appreciate the input on the OB unit, they were very responsive and helpful when I contacted them.  I did see the unit was available in multiple configurations, the one I select will depend on where it is located..

The plexiglass sounds like a great idea, thanks for passing it along.  Any chance of getting a picture?
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

Edmund Burke

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I also had a solid Plexiglas insert for my companionway and I loved it. It was great to have light in the cabin when it was raining or cold and I used it as my full time hatch with a hasp on the top for a lock. Like Ken, we also had the sunbrella cover that we could even use at night at the dock for privacy without the Plexiglas in place then if you were going in and out of the cabin, you could just flip the cover out of the way. It worked out very well for us and we never used the wood hatch boards.

Mike 
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ken Juul

Sorry no pictures.  If I remember will take one next month when I go to charge the batteries.  Easy to make, lay the hatch boards down, trace around  them and cut.  Had a couple 'Sail" decals left from the boat show, put them on after a guest almost walked through it.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

WTunnessen

For what it's worth - I installed a Cruisair Turbo 16k BTU in the forward starboard settee. The unit has a sound-shield around the compressor, which significantly reduces compressor noise.  This was an import issue for me since my wife would not put with running a noisy HVAC unit on in the boat.  The only significant noise this system makes

I use the system mostly for cooling in the summer and works great and cools the boat down remarkably fast. We use it for heat only in the Spring / Fall. 

I had intended to run duct work to the aft cabin, but have decided not to bother since the system cools the whole boat down, even in super hot days in Maryland. In the fall & spring when we run the heat, it also warms the aft cabin up nice as well.

Currently I only have 2 vents - which basically vent out of box on the top of the hanging locker in the V-berth where the duct work runs.  The vent facing the main cabin is a larger rectangle vent and the v-berth is a small round vent.  I am planning on putting in another smaller round vent below the drawer in the v-berth solely for heating purposes.  Obviously heat rises - so having all the vents 5 feet above the cabin sole does not help to keep the floor warm.  But the main issue is that the sensor for the thermostat is located at the return vent which is at the same level as the sole. Consequently, the thermostat does not get an accurate or adequate reading of the ambient temperature in the cabin and thinks the boat is colder than it really feels. I've compensated for this with finding the right set point, but the better solution is to have a vent closer to the sole. 

Gaulois #579 C34 Tall Rig - CYC West River, MD

Lance Jones

If it isn't too late....
We have the Marinaire 16k. We mounted it in the V-berth. Ducting WAS an issue. As with most, I ran one 6" line through the hanging locker. I ran a T inside the locker vertically to vents for the main cabin and V-berth. That line continued into the stbd settee with a vent at the base that also blows into the main cabin.

I also ran, from a T in the V-berth, a line of 4" flex that ran under the portside dresser, into the port settee, into the top area over the holding tank, into the hanging locker, behind the head and into the aft cabin. It does get air back there. However, I am adding a 4" duct fan with an automatic sensor that detects air movement to turn it on. That will significantly INCREASE the amount of air getting back there.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622