Wheel Autopilot

Previous topic - Next topic

mark_53

Quote from: Rortega46 on March 11, 2017, 07:39:37 AM
I am going the same route as Jim.  I bought the EV-100 from Defender and will install myself.  For just over $1k I'll have an AP that ties into my Raymarine instruments and does what I need 95% of the time.  Sailing in 25 knot winds a 7 foot seas is rare for me.  Don't know when I'll have ~$5k for a below deck AP so this is the plan.

Now I just need to figure out where to install the EV-1 sensor core (compass) and the ACU 100 (brains).  If anyone has a good install plan for placing these components please reply.  Photo of an actual install would be very helpful as well.
I installed the EV-1 core behind the aft bulkhead on the port side of the wood 2x4 next to steering column. ACU 100 on the opposite 2x4 on the starboard side. Leave the bulkhead off until you are confident things are working right. I glued a plywood panel behind the aft bulkhead and attached a + and - bus to and attached all wires. My Edson steering column is aluminum so no issue with magnetic interference. Pics if I can find them.

Rortega46

Mark

Your install sounds like a fairly simple setup.  I'll remove the bulkhead and take a look.  Please post pics if you can. 
Randy Ortega
2001 MKII Hull # 1532 M35BC
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA

mark_53

Here are some pics.

Rortega46

Mark:

Thanks for posting the pics.  I removed the rear bulkhead in the rear stateroom and my MKII looks completely different from your MKI.  Regardless, I don't see anywhere behind the bulkhead to install the ACU and/or EV-1 sensor core. 

If anyone has installed an EV-100 on a MKII please share install tips and the location of the components. 
Randy Ortega
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA

Rortega46

Just a final note on this subject....

The EV-100 was installed on the port panel in front of the fresh water tank in the rear stateroom.  The install went as planned once I figured out the ACU needed a dedicated 12v connection. 

Initial performance looks good but there is still minimal hunting.  I may consider installing a rudder reference sensor in the future but want a few months of experience and adjusting settings before doing so. 
Randy Ortega
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA

pjcomeau

Mark,

Thanks for all the info and pictures. I just purchased the ev-100 also. I think I can install pretty much like you did. You mentioned the ACU-100 being on the starboard 2x4, but don't see it in pictures. Next problem I have is the location of the p70 controller. Where did you put it? Did you have to buy another cable as kit only has 3' spur (white cable) and 16' backbone. I'm assuming 3' spur was not long enough. The book shows a typical/basic system diagram where they use the backbone cable to have the ACU-100 further away. I guess keeping ACU-100, EV-1 closer together, I can use the backbone cable for the p70. If you have the p70 on pedestal, did you have concern about distance from compass as indicated in manuals?

Thanks,

Pierre
Pierre Comeau
Time To Keel, 1988 #687  Saint John, NB Canada

mark_53

Quote from: pjcomeau on April 09, 2017, 06:38:18 AM
Mark,

Thanks for all the info and pictures. I just purchased the ev-100 also. I think I can install pretty much like you did. You mentioned the ACU-100 being on the starboard 2x4, but don't see it in pictures.
Pierre:
The ACU-100 is that grey thing in the 3rd picture.

Quote from: pjcomeau on April 09, 2017, 06:38:18 AM
Next problem I have is the location of the p70 controller. Where did you put it? Did you have to buy another cable as kit only has 3' spur (white cable) and 16' backbone. I'm assuming 3' spur was not long enough. The book shows a typical/basic system diagram where they use the backbone cable to have the ACU-100 further away. I guess keeping ACU-100, EV-1 closer together, I can use the backbone cable for the p70. If you have the p70 on pedestal, did you have concern about distance from compass as indicated in manuals?

The P70 is connected to an E7D MFD inside a Navpod on a new single bend pedestal guard. The E7D Seatalk cable and power cables run down the pedestal guard starboard rail to the Seatalk backbone connection below deck on the new bus board.  As I recall I bought an extra cable to connect the E7D through the pedestal guard to the backbone connection below deck.  I was concerned with interference from the compass but others have commented they haven't had issues so I took the chance.  I'm probably about 2 feet away from the compass which is less than the recommended 3 feet but I calibrated fine the first time.  Raymarine updates their software from time to time and the calibration readings change  when they do so but they tell me I'm fine.

ChrisOB

Just finished a trip from NY to Bahamas, and in reply to the gent who questioned taking the boat out in big waves and 25knot winds, she is amazing.  It was a ton of work to engineer the shelf to mount the raymarine type 1 linear drive into the MK1, but on those 150NM passages off the Carolina coast I was  damn happy to have it.  Also the big passage to Eleuthera from Abaco, in 13,000 ft depth and no coast guard to help you.  Cat34 is an amazing boat, go places!
1986 MK1 Tall rig/Fin Keel #247