Wheel Autopilot

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon W

Yes the CPT is a wheel pilot. Very good reputation from skippers on boats such as WestSail 42.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Jim Hardesty

I just bought an EV-100 wheel pilot from Defender.  Raymarine has a rebate and the old style (I was assured the change was only cosmetic) is discounted.  My st4000+ was just getting worse.  Especially after running for a while.  I really wish a below deck drive would fit, but don't think it would fit with the water tank in.  Even if I could have found a way to put it in with the tank it would have been so hard to get to in case of a problem wouldn't have done it.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

ChrisOB

If you see Noah's install the tiller arm goes 10" aft of the rudder post so the aft water tank has nothing to do with it.  i removed my aft water tank the other day it took 30 minutes.
1986 MK1 Tall rig/Fin Keel #247

ChrisOB

attaching photo (excuse my hippie friend)

ChrisOB

I think the Ray components are great and it actually takes my wind and SOG data from my B&G network (I cut off the Ray NM200 plug and installed a normal one to integrate it into my nmea 2000 backbone) and the AP will steer to wind and waypoints.  You are going to be unhappy with the wheel driven plastic grey disc that installs on the steering wheel.  In 15 knots + and 3 foot waves it starts to struggle hard.   25 knots and 7ft waves you are hand steering for the whole passage.  Motoring in flat water and light sailing its fine.

Jon W

The primary reason for that is the max torque the EV-100 can generate is 30Nm (~22 ft lbs), and is designed for boats under 16,500lb. My boat weighed 15,500lb without cruising provisions or full tanks.

CPT generates 116Nm (85 ft lb) torque and is used successfully on Tayana, WestSail, Hans Christian 40,000lb plus boats. It can be immersed in water unlike the EV-100. Important if you get pooped.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

ChrisOB

it's unfortunate these older more robust wheel pilots are no longer available.  so much easier to install...

ChrisOB

That said, the Ray1 i am installing puts out 750lb.

Jon W

CPT is still available and probably what I will be installing.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Jon W

Hopefully it won't snap your spade rudder.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

ChrisOB

Wow that is concerning.  Is there a possibility of an autopilot snapping a rudder?

ChrisOB

CPT - I do see they are still selling.  Please let me know about the performance, good intel as i have a few other friends looking for AP's and i guess we all thought the only wheel version was the EV-100.

Jon W

I have read about it happening on spade rudders, but not on a Catalina, and not as if it's a frequent occurrence. I would talk to the tech rep from Raymarine. These are 30 year old boats after all.

I'll be installing this year, but not sure when.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Rortega46

I am going the same route as Jim.  I bought the EV-100 from Defender and will install myself.  For just over $1k I'll have an AP that ties into my Raymarine instruments and does what I need 95% of the time.  Sailing in 25 knot winds a 7 foot seas is rare for me.  Don't know when I'll have ~$5k for a below deck AP so this is the plan.

Now I just need to figure out where to install the EV-1 sensor core (compass) and the ACU 100 (brains).  If anyone has a good install plan for placing these components please reply.  Photo of an actual install would be very helpful as well.
Randy Ortega
2001 MKII Hull # 1532 M35BC
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA

mark_53

Quote from: ChrisOB on March 10, 2017, 09:49:00 PM
I think the Ray components are great and it actually takes my wind and SOG data from my B&G network (I cut off the Ray NM200 plug and installed a normal one to integrate it into my nmea 2000 backbone) and the AP will steer to wind and waypoints.  You are going to be unhappy with the wheel driven plastic grey disc that installs on the steering wheel.  In 15 knots + and 3 foot waves it starts to struggle hard.   25 knots and 7ft waves you are hand steering for the whole passage.  Motoring in flat water and light sailing its fine.

Who in their right mind would be using an autopilot in 25knt wind and 7 foot seas with a 34 ft boat?
Wheel pilot has worked just fine for me but I'm not doing any blue water sailing.