Wheel Autopilot

Previous topic - Next topic

mark_53

I am considering adding a wheel autopilot to my C34. From what I read, the C34 is at the high end of the weight specs. I would be using it mostly for Puget Sound cruising. In perticular, has anyone installed the Raymarine EV-100 on a C34 and what were your results?

Scott Hibbs

Mark, I installed an EV-200 below deck autopilot last summer.  It replaced an older wheel autopilot. I am extremely pleased with the upgrade.  Drop me an email if you would like to discuss in greater detail.
Scott Hibbs
"Escape Hatch"
2004 MK II, #1679, M-35B
Northport, MI

Wobegon

I installed one this past August.  After 23 years of working, my Autohelm 4000 failed.  It was an easy job to replace.  Just plan it out and go.  Simply replaced previous equipment with new EV-100 pieces all holes were used for new equipment.  Hardest part was making a mounting area for the equipment below deck. It is all mounted behind the wood panel in the aft berth.  I built a small wood shelf.  Total installation was 9 hours from start to finish.  This new technology is fantastic.  Previously if I ended up within 10 degrees off my course I was happy.  This new one is flawless and really performs.  It took about two sails for the computer to figure out the boat, then is continues to improve.  Good luck!  You will love it!

mark_53

Scott, thanks for that endorsement of the 200.

Wonegon:
I assume you are using the wheel drive. What hardware is installed below deck?  How does the wheel drive perform in following seas?
Thanks

Wobegon

Mark, 

The only hardware above deck is the wheel mount control and the main control pad. The network, gyro unit and brains of the unit are all mounted below deck behind the aft birth false bulkhead.  What is nice about the system is the "plug and play" network which makes it easy to replace and install.  Hardest part was getting the cable from the wheel back through the pedestal where the old cable went. The EV-100 is excellent under following seas.  It was one of those times when we did not know just how poorly the previous unit was performing until it was replaced.  The cool thing about the EV-100 is that is continues to get better and will most certainly keep you on course.  Good luck!

Ron Hill

Mark : I installed a NAVICO Wheel Pilot 25+ years ago and have always been satisfied. 
Not even one "blip" in all those years!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jon W

Hi Wobegon,
Glad to hear the EV-100 works so well. Thinking of doing this on my boat eventually as well.

Did you install the shelf on the hull, or on the 2x6's protecting the steering radial? For access do you have to remove the bulkhead or can you get to the axial sensor and cpu from the aft cockpit hatch?

Thanks.   Jon W.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Wobegon

Jon,

I removed the bulkhead at the aft end of the aft berth to expose the water tank, etc.  I mounted the brains (cpu) along the fiberglass wall on the starboard side that forms the hanging locker. I first glued a painted piece of 1/4 inch plywood on the fiberglass and screwed the main computer to the wood. I built a small shelf out of 1/4 plywood and installed the shell on the port side of the area beside the water tank and up along the hull.  I put the gyro and the network cables, as well as an additional 12 volt fuse bar on the shelf area.  I reused the 12 volt lines coming from the main electrical panel.  The control panel is mounted in the cockpit just to the left of the engine control panel. The new one simply fit into the hole for the old one...with some minor modification.  The wheel mount was easy, as all the holes drilled, etc. were in the correct places from the previous wheel mount.  Running the cable down through the pedestal guard was the hardest part, but worked. My previous unit was a 23 year old AutoHelm 4000.

Again, one of the best upgrades I have done to the board.  The display is unbelievable and the various program settings you can do gives lots of flexibility.  I have a couple of pictures, but they are two big to post. Good luck!

Jon W

Thanks for the details, I think I'll take the same approach. My current system is an AutoHelm 4000 also. The display is shot and overall it's seen it's day.

Merry Christmas.

Jon W.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

pablosgirl

Hi Jon,

I have an old 4000 as well and need a few spare parts.  In particular the clutch lever and cam, but I would like the whole unit if possible. Let me know what you would want for it.
Thanks,
Paul
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP

Jon W

I have my hands full at the moment so it'll be a while before I start the autohelm project.

Jon W.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Rortega46

I am planning to install an EV-100 wheel pilot.  Can't afford a below deck AP at this time and my 4000+  deviates wildly.  I would appreciate feedback from anyone who has installed an EV-100 on their C34.  Are you happy with its performance?  What's been your good and/or bad experience with it?  Do you have install tips or pictures of the install?  Did you install a rudder reference sensor?

Woebegon:  Are you still happy with your EV-100?

Jon:  Did you ever install an EV-100?
Randy Ortega
2001 MKII Hull # 1532 M35BC
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA

ChrisOB

The EV-100 works awesome for motoring, and sailing in less than 15 knots with less than 3ft waves.  Beyond that it struggles.
1986 MK1 Tall rig/Fin Keel #247

Jon W

I haven't installed a wheel pilot yet. I'm considering a CPT autopilot instead of the EV-100. Simpler device (course heading only), reliable, with more than triple the torque (116Nm vs 30Nm) of the EV-100.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

ChrisOB

i would not upgrade to an ev-100 from that, the CPT appears to also be a wheel driven pilot.  Word on the street is some of the older wheel pilots were better, the ev-100 is better for maybe a 28 foot boat.
1986 MK1 Tall rig/Fin Keel #247