Christmas List - Year End Purchases...

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben H.

With the year coming to an end and me owning a "new" boat I'm looking to make some year-end boat/business purchases. I still have to make a good to do list, but know of some big items I'll need and would like the group's input. Also, where would be a good place to procure these items. I am in CT if local is better?! Here is my "new boat" post.

Rudder/shaft/Prop.
- The boat needs something to attach to the engine. What are people recommendations? I think I'd like to get a feathering prop.
- Read about an elliptical rudder. Is this the way to go now? From whom should I get this?

Sails - Main and Jib
- I'm no expert on sails and don't have a good history on the old ones. Main "looks" okay to me, jib is beat up. I do not know it's size currently. Thoughts on this?

I'm planning on going through/upgrading electrical over the winter. Will inventory this weekend.

Other big items I should get in preparation for a spring launch?

Thanks, Ben
Ben H.
"Happy Camper"
1989 C34 Mk I #886
Std. Rig, Wing Keel, M25XP Engine
Boat - Westport, Connecticut

Stu Jackson

Hi, you're right, your first priority should be to get the boat moving again.  You probably can't even get a non- elliptical rudder anymore.  Catalina yachts is THE place to go for a rudder.

Shaft:  buy locally if you can, read Maine Sail's discussion on his website about shaft couplings to match the new prop.  There's some good YouTube videos on matching shafts to couplings.  Get a new cutlass bearing while you're in there.

Sails:  Jib size depends on where you sail, see the sticky.  Sources of sails are so vast that it's impossible to add anything more than:  buy local, pay more but get someone to measure and adjust post-sale vs. buy online and have little recourse for corrections with lower price.  Catalina's Ullman sails are also pretty good: they KNOW our boats for run-of-the mill sails.  Your boat, your choice in this case for sure.  :D

As long as your prioritize the Critical Upgrades, you should be fine.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jim Hardesty

Stu's advice is good.   :thumb:  For sails I would take the existing sail inventory to a local sailmaker and have him or her inspect and make any small repairs.  A stitch in time is a good thing.  Try to be there when the inspection takes place.  The sailmakers I have used have shown me a lot and are glad to have the extra hand with the sails.  Listen to advice but I would use the sails for a season and see what you want.
But then, if you plan to cross the Atlantic or a hot racer, just spend the bucks.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Footloose

Ben

If your rudder is in good condition you can modify it to the elliptical shape.  Ron has a write up on it.  Good winter project.  Take the rudder home with you and do it in the basement.

Dave
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Ben H.

Quote from: Footloose on December 11, 2015, 05:46:03 AM
Ben

If your rudder is in good condition you can modify it to the elliptical shape.  Ron has a write up on it.  Good winter project.  Take the rudder home with you and do it in the basement.

Dave

The rudder is no more. P/o broke it off on sandbar. I just have what didn't sink.
Ben H.
"Happy Camper"
1989 C34 Mk I #886

Clay Greene

Keep the old rudder post because you will need it to size the new rudder post and to have the holes cut into the new rudder post for the quadrant and the top bolt to hold the new rudder post in place.  Catalina sends the new rudder with an oversized post and without holes so that it can be customized to your boat.  The new rudder post is double-walled stainless steel so you may well want a metal shop to do that work.  I would order that rudder sooner rather than later because it is going to take Catalina a while to get it made.  My memory is that ours took about six weeks to ship, which was two weeks longer than they originally predicted. 

All good advice in terms of sails.  A couple of other considerations:

1.  Our C34 had a lot of weather helm.  We originally had to furl in part of the 150 headsail when the wind got above 12 knots apparent.  Moving to the new rudder helped keep the boat from spinning up but the best change we made was to move from a 150 to a 135.  That helped move the center of effort forward and put the boat in better balance.  Part of that also was that a new sail moved the draft farther forward.  We could then keep full canvas up into the 15-17 knot range.  You don't see a lot of sailmakers recommending a 150 as an all-purpose headsail anymore. 

2.  If you are looking at getting a new main, you might consider adding a Strong track system to make it easier to raise and douse the sail.  We've had the Strong system on two boats now and think it is really worth the money. 

3.  Again with the main, you might also think about what sort of sail containment system you want.  Some people really like the "sail pack" system because of ease of use.  I personally don't like lazyjacks and think a well-installed Dutchman system works great.  You'll get as many opinions on that as you would on religion, politics, and propellers.  This is a good time to try to figure out what works for you. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Ralph Masters

The only boat item on my wish list is a davit system. AKA solar panel support bracket.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ron Hill

Ben : At one time the Catalina factory would take your rudder column and use it in a new elliptical lay up.  Worth a check with them to see if they still do that.  If nothing else I'd send the old column to them and have them use it to drill the necessary holes in the exact location.

Are you replacing your bronze drive shaft for a stainless one?  If so I'd look locally or get a price from Catalina factory.  I found the factory the cheapest!!  Definitely do as Stu suggest, replace the cutless bearing  at the same time

On sails definitely go locally.  If you have a tall rig you'll want a 135% genoa and I have always liked a laminate material.

Check Critical Updates - especially the Wiring Harness (fire hazard)!!

Also always list you hull# and production year - as there are a bunch of differences in C34's!!!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

BillG

Try Kappa Sails, located in Westbrook CT,  I replaced my main with them and have friends who have also purchased from them, they have a great reputattion.
Bill
Rock Hall, MD

Gary Brockman

I am replacing my rudder next week with one from Foss Foam/Finco in Santa Ana, CA. You can have my old rudder for free if you want to pay the yard to pack and ship it to you. I am not aware of any problems with my rudder, I am upgrading to an elipitcal one for better control in windy conditions while racing.

Gary
Squall
1986 Hull #231
Tall Rig/Fin Keel - Elliptical Rudder
M25XPB - Flexofold 2 Blade 15x10
Marina del Rey, California

Ben H.

Quote from: Gary Brockman on December 12, 2015, 11:10:20 AM
I am replacing my rudder next week with one from Foss Foam/Finco in Santa Ana, CA. You can have my old rudder for free if you want to pay the yard to pack and ship it to you. I am not aware of any problems with my rudder, I am upgrading to an elipitcal one for better control in windy conditions while racing.

Gary

Thanks for that offer Gary. What kind of keel do you have? I have the wing keel.
Ben H.
"Happy Camper"
1989 C34 Mk I #886

Gary Brockman

Squall
1986 Hull #231
Tall Rig/Fin Keel - Elliptical Rudder
M25XPB - Flexofold 2 Blade 15x10
Marina del Rey, California

Ben H.

Quote from: BillG on December 12, 2015, 07:04:45 AM
Try Kappa Sails, located in Westbrook CT,  I replaced my main with them and have friends who have also purchased from them, they have a great reputattion.

The sails and I are taking a visit to Kappa Sail in the morning. We will see how things go.

Gary. Again thanks for the offer, but I have a wing keel and don't believe yours would fit.

What is everyone's thoughts on feathering props?
Ben H.
"Happy Camper"
1989 C34 Mk I #886

Jim Hardesty

QuoteWhat is everyone's thoughts on feathering props?

I have a maxi-prop.   My thoughts is that it is the best sail change I've ever made.  I see no down side, just the boat-bucks and once a year greasing.  Having said that, it's not the first place that I would spend money.  Safety first then reliability then go sailing.  Next haul-out if you still want spend the boat-bucks on a feathering prop and get the extra half knot.

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ben H.

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on December 16, 2015, 06:06:00 AM
I have a maxi-prop.   My thoughts is that it is the best sail change I've ever made.  I see no down side, just the boat-bucks and once a year greasing.  Having said that, it's not the first place that I would spend money.  Safety first then reliability then go sailing.  Next haul-out if you still want spend the boat-bucks on a feathering prop and get the extra half knot.

Jim

Right now I have no prop, so I figure I should get one now. Does the boat have to come out to grease the maxi-prop?

Sails update: Kappa sails believe my sails just needs some repairs and will last another 2-3 years. YAY!!! :clap :clap
Ben H.
"Happy Camper"
1989 C34 Mk I #886