Maxwell 500 Windlass for sale

Previous topic - Next topic

dfloeter

Well, I removed the old windlass and am in the middle of installing a Maxwell VW10 and do need to move the old one off my bench.   When we bought the boat last year the windlass was wired backwards and not really usable so I doubt it ever saw much use in it's 18 years of life.  The gypsy has all of it's chrome and looks great.   Included is the foot switch but without the chrome ring.    I may remove one of the mounting studs to reuse on the new so that would have to be sourced.  A meter of metric threaded rod will cost 12.85 at Fastenal and you get enough to do the whole windlass with fresh threads.

How about $400 plus shipping from 49686?    Estimate about  26 pounds packaged.

thanks, Dietrich

Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

bayates

Brian & Pat Yates
Hakuna Matata
2000 MKII #1517
San Diego, CA

dfloeter

Pictures as requested.   The foot switch is not shown as it is still at the boat.
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

bayates

Thanks. I was hoping it had s chain gypsy. I have the same one but want on with a chain gypsy.
Brian & Pat Yates
Hakuna Matata
2000 MKII #1517
San Diego, CA

dfloeter

You are in the same place I was and am now $2500 poorer.  Good luck. 
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

dfloeter

This windlass will be on Ebay tonight for a week's run.
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

dfloeter

Well, I posted the windlass on Ebay, the price went well and it sold.   The buyer in Australia then realized shipping was going to be rather steep and backed out.   

Any offers on this windlass?   For spare parts alone this is a bargain.
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

dfloeter

My old nearly unused windlass is still in the garage and someone really should buy this thing.   If I could have found a chain gypsy I would have kept this one but for someone who is happy with a rope only model (and I hear chain does come in if wrapped a couple times) this is it.   Boxed and ready to go.

Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

chrisyse

Dietrich,

Would you happen to have a photo of it installed in a C34 , and any sketches to help me understand what will be involved? How many times have you used this? Is it expected to work with chain? what type chain will be needed?
Thanks, Chris

dfloeter

In this discussion are found a couple good very descriptive images.   Though I never tried others have reported success using this rope gypsy with a couple wraps of chain.   If using a boat length or so of chain this should work.  Not having a dedicated chain gypsy, any chain would work with this windlass.   Due to this windlass being wired backwards I never did use it and doubt the PO did either.    I believe the most difficult part of this installation in a Cat 34 without a previous windlass would be boring the hole in thesmall but substantial bulkhead.   When I enlarged ours I bolted over the existing hole a double layer of ¾" ply with the new hole size predrilled and used that as a guide for the hole saw.   Going into an undrilled area this would be unnecessary as the center bit in the hole saw would have material to bite into and all that is needed otherwise is a right angle drill motor.   

Let me know what you want to do.  I can ship this beast on Monday.

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=7648.0
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

Mick Laver

Dietrich,
Do you still have this? If so I was going to point one of the members of the San Diego Catalina Association at it.
- Mick
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

dfloeter

It sure is and I am ready to deal!   We are leaving for a few weeks on a road trip to the desert on Saturday but I could easily ship it tomorrow.   That is probably too quick but the best I can do for a while.
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

Rejoice1987

Is it still for sale? If so what's your bottom line.....I'm in Santa Barbara and my only concern is installation problems. my 34 is an 87 and never had a windless

dfloeter

How about $250 and I will split shipping.   If your anchor locker has the same configuration as later 34s, maybe look at a few photos of windlasss installations that can be found searching this site, it shouold work.   There should be a bumped out area on the starboard side resulting in a vertical surface right of center facing to the left.   It is in this surface that the windlass is mounted.    The earlier 34s possibly were not set up this way, I do not know.
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

chrisyse

Dietrich,
Do you still have the windlass?

Chris