BLASTING THE HULL CLEAN

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Forshier

I am having my 1988 hull sodium blasted next week when it comes out for bottom paint.They use a little glass bead or something that is gentile with the hull and have been very busy with this in this area. I went over and checked out the process viewing boats being blasted, boats done and with the first coat of barrier coat on them and then the finished product. It does appear they have this system working well. I have always put interlux  micron 66 on my bottom and get 3 years on it. However, the boat yard said my canal gets a lot of fresh water run off in it and this paint (they said) does not like fresh water. It may be the cause of the paint flaking in some areas. (which is why I am doing the blasting, to take it off.)
They are recommending a sherman Williams paint that is about 1/2 the cost and would be a savings of about $450 on the job. I am in tropical climate here in Naples Florida and have had this boat for 9 years with good results. Anyone of you have any recomendations or thoughts I might swant to consider? (I have NO BLISTERS) They start on Monday so if you have input please respond.
Thanks, Terry

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

britinusa

I just worked my way through all 6 pages of that cruisers forum post ... phew!

From that reading, I conclude that there are some that are seriously up to date with the details of bottom paint but, like everyone, they have their own agenda to push. I didn't come away with any clear idea of the best paint to use over here.

When Eximius was hauled in May 2015, we had it power washed and then 3 coats of Pettit SR 60 applied, the Marina recommended that when we explained we were keeping the boat in Fort Lauderdale and planned on cruising the Bahamas for a couple of months.

Our first boat that needed bottom paint. it is what it is. We'll find out what when we haul next year.

Paul

Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP