Join the C34 Association Today!
[C34 Home] [C34Tech Notes] [C34 Tech Wiki] [Join!]
Please login or register.
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hot Water Heater  (Read 1084 times)

Mark Wey

• Forum - Seaman
    • View Profile
Hot Water Heater
« on: May 12, 2003, 01:07:33 PM »

The cheap plastic push button switch/breaker for the AC hotwater heater is broken inside the switch itself. It pulls right out. Short of the main AC switch there is no way to turn it off!  I realize I have to replace it and the other identical switch used for accessories. How ever I have just recently bought the boat and this project is further down the list. I just wondered if there was a quick and easy way of activating the switch manually in the mean time.

Ps I plan to replace it with a new gang of switches that act as breakers as well. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Do I have enough wire to work with behind the panel?

Thanks,

Mark Wey
Mark Wey
2004 C-36

Jim Price

• Forum - Petty Officer 1st Class
    • View Profile
Hot Water Heater
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2003, 04:10:13 PM »

Check my reply of April 30 on "Seaward Engine Panel Replacement".  I responed about the AC/DC panel in error.  My reason to replace started same way, water heater would not cut off due to stuck breaker.  I would highly consider replaceing complete panel.  The rest of those breakers are crap.  I killed AC and disconnected wiring on panel for heater during interum, capped and taped wires.  I would not recommed doing much else - AC with a lot amps is deadly! And could cause short that destroys your boat.  Seaward responded very quickly  - had panel in less than two weeks - one day to pull old one and install new.  No problems since
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Mark Wey

• Forum - Seaman
    • View Profile
Hot Water Heater
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2003, 01:11:27 PM »

Jim

You are right! I thought about it and after looking at the existing panel I decided to go for it. I ordered a new AC/DC panel from Seaward Products. I ordered one off the shelf for $335 plus shipping. Not a bad investment I think. Is there any other advice you can give me regarding making the switch. It seems straight forward but I am open to ideas.

Thanks,

Mark
Mark Wey
2004 C-36

Jim Price

• Forum - Petty Officer 1st Class
    • View Profile
Hot Water Heater
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2003, 01:43:10 PM »

:)Not really, it is straight forward if you lable EVERYTHING as you take out old panel.  I had every hole in the new panel populated with breakers.  Actually have two DC (50A & 20A)left over.  Remember my comments about the windless breaker, the panel does not take that size breaker any longer as all the new boats have a separate breaker for that.  I think 50A is as large as the panel supports.  My windless takes a 90A.  I also replaced the breaker on the AC side for the battery charger with RED toggle - makes it very evident if this one is ever closed by accident.  And I saved the old Perko switch for a backup (or yard sale).  I actually love the idiot lights now for DC service, Gas valve, and bilge pump.  Also, the two volt meters work now.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA
Pages: [1]   Go Up