1987 MK 1 Electrical System Upgrade - Feedback Requested

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Jon W on October 26, 2015, 05:46:45 PM

When you pulled the wires under the pan where did they come up to attach to the engine?

From the back end of the engine, what you see if you remove the opening in the aft cabin.  Just forward of the stuffing box, below the transmission/shaft coupling.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

Jon- I am still in the yard, unfortunately dealing with some frustrating yard BS/scheduling delays and semi-incompetence, (giving them the benefit of the doubt on that one),  but I pshould be back at my slip this weekend. You are welcome to come by and look at the routing I took for my wiring.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jon W

Hi Stu, no hole in that area on my boat. There is a pass through to starboard that the water hose from the aft tank routes through to get to the galley sink area. Your area would be a simple path to fish wires through. Might be worth drilling a pilot hole to put my borescope through and take a look.

That would be great Noah thanks.

Jon W.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Jon W on October 26, 2015, 07:09:06 PM
Hi Stu, no hole in that area on my boat. There is a pass through to starboard that the water hose from the aft tank routes through to get to the galley sink area. Your area would be a simple path to fish wires through. Might be worth drilling a pilot hole to put my borescope through and take a look.

Jon,

Here's the back of the engine with the space underneath.

The red wire on the right is my new alternator + to the house bank.

The hoses on the left are the new hot & cold lines to the head sink that I pulled last year.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

KWKloeber

Quote from: mainesail on October 26, 2015, 09:40:10 AM
Ken,

If you tie back up to a dock at the end of a day, no big deal, if you don't your batteries will suffer....

For those who have not read it this article delves into why voltages sensing is important if you want optimal charging performance and optimal battery health.

Voltage Sensing - Why It is Important

Thanks RC that's a great explanation and article - really explains it with no fog involved. 

Do you carry the conversion for an external regulator on the 51 amp 8MR Moto alternators?
Could a shop convert the 8MR from a self- to external-sense?

Thanks
kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

Quote from: KWKloeber on October 27, 2015, 10:23:09 AM
Ken,

If you tie back up to a dock at the end of a day, no big deal, if you don't your batteries will suffer....

For those who have not read it this article delves into why voltages sensing is important if you want optimal charging performance and optimal battery health.

Thanks RC that's a great explanation and article - really explains it with no fog involved. 
kk

Ken,

That article has been on our Electrical Systems 101 topic for a long time:

Alternators & Voltage Sensing (by Maine Sail):

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/regulator_voltage_sensing

KWKloeber

Quote from: Stu Jackson on October 27, 2015, 10:36:07 AM
Quote from: KWKloeber on October 27, 2015, 10:23:09 AM
Ken,

kk

Ken,

That article has been on our Electrical Systems 101 topic for a long time:

Alternators & Voltage Sensing (by Maine Sail):

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/regulator_voltage_sensing

And Kudos also for putting that great article on the site.   :wink:

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Jon W

Hi Stu, Completely different construction from what I have. Gives me hope that I may be able to use that space after drilling a few holes. Thanks for the photo.  Jon W.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Craig Illman

Ken - I got my 8MRxxxx, conversion kit, and pulley from http://www.ase-supply.com. It was easy to do the conversion from internal to external following RC's instructions on http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/alternator_conversion

Craig

Noah

I purchased my 90 amp Leece alternator and external regulator conversion kit from Spyder Marine in FL.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Thanks Craig and Noah -- I have a kit dialed in...
I thought that RC had a kit for sale at one time and would have preferred to give him the cash.

Cheers
Ken

Craig Illman

patrice

Hi Jon,

Not sure why you need to drill holes for your wires.

From the back of engine, under the bed, you have access to the head cabinet, then you can access under the shower pan to bilge.  From there you can go to the settee by the nav station and up to electrical panel.

This how I ran the cable for my solar pannel to panel.

I'd rather not having to drill holes.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Jon W

Hi Patrice, that area is very crowded with thru hulls and both my bilge hoses pass through to get to the transom. Worth looking at again though. In the second attached photo you an see both bilge hose passing under the aqualift muffler from the head.

Hi Stu, I've attached photo's of the back of the engine, same angle as yours showing that it is closed off. You're lucky you can run both wire and hoses through those openings. I want to add a second bilge pump but finding a path to run the second hose is a challenge. The third attached photo shows the starboard side of the engine where my aft tank water hose runs to the galley. It looks promising for the cable but not as big a space as the hole would make you think. More looking tomorrow.

Jon W.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Stu Jackson

Jon, it appears obvious to me that someone (a PO) ADDED that "enclosure" 'cuz it simply ain't factory OEM.

Drill away.   :clap :clap :clap