West Marine Battery Manufacturer

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon W

Anybody know who makes the flooded batteries sold at West Marine? Are they re-branded Trojan or US Battery? Thanks for the help.

Jon W.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Ted Pounds

Deka/East Penn.  They also make them for NAPA, O'Rielly and Sam's Club/Walmart.  For a given type and size of battery for these retailers they all come off the exact same production line and just get different labels depending on where they are to be sold...   :shock:
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ted Pounds

BTW I got that info from a Maine Sail post on SailboatOwners forum.   :thumb:
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Jon W

Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

mainesail

Quote from: Jon W on October 22, 2015, 07:14:26 PM
Anybody know who makes the flooded batteries sold at West Marine? Are they re-branded Trojan or US Battery? Thanks for the help.

Jon W.

Deka / East Penn
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Stu Jackson

Do NOT buy batteries from WM. 

Ever.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

SPembleton

Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails."

mainesail

Quote from: SPembleton on October 24, 2015, 04:46:26 AM
Quote from: Stu Jackson on October 23, 2015, 07:50:31 PM
Do NOT buy batteries from WM. 

Ever.

Why? Quality, price or ??

West Marine Deep Cycle 105 = $249.99 / 105Ah MCA 810, CCA 650, Maker East Penn - Sticker West Marine
Sam's Club Deep Cycle 29HM =$94.67 / 105Ah MCA 810, CCA 650 , Maker East Penn - Sticker Duracell

The difference?

A STICKER!!!!!!!

The ONLY DIFFERENCE between these batteries is the sticker and PRICE... If you want to pay a 164% premium for a sticker that costs 12ยข I say go for it... (wink)
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

Noah

I guess it depends on timing and the convenience factor, too. I got my Group 24 maintenance-free starting battery there "on sale" for $79 and was on the boat in minutes. Also, their customer service and return policy has always been good for me on their stuff.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

mainesail

Quote from: Noah on October 24, 2015, 11:44:22 AM
I guess it depends on timing and the convenience factor, too. I got my Group 24 maintenance-free starting battery there "on sale" for $79 and was on the boat in minutes. Also, their customer service and return policy has always been good for me on their stuff.

The 550 CCA version of that battery is $59.88 at Sam's but O'Reilly ($69.99), Napa and many others also sell the same exact battery closer to what Sam's Club does than what West Marine does. Sometimes the premium for convienicen is a LOT.... Regular price on the 550CCA Group 24 from WM is $119.00 or double the price Sam's club sells the same exact battery for....
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

Jon W

Hi Mainesail, I've been reading many of your posts on various forums. Thanks for sharing so much helpful and clear information. Any chance you could take a look at the schematic in my other recent post here called "MK1 Electrical System Upgrade" and give feedback? Thanks
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca