rigging got hit

Previous topic - Next topic

cmainprize

HI
The boat next to me fell over yesterday shortly after the marina placed it on the stands.  I was down below working when it happened.  The mast of the fallen boat hit my outer shroud as it fell.  The impact ripped the spreader off the other mast and his outer shroud broke.  His mast snapped at the spreader.   Fortunately everything that fell hit the other boat and deck and hull were not damaged.  The broken mast remained pressed hard against my forward lower and outer.  The tension on the shrouds were very high.  I had to leave it and the boat was being lifted off mine today.  Aside from a rig inspection can anyone suggest what i should be looking for to check for damage.
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

kwaltersmi

Sounds like a careful full rig inspections is the right course of action.

As a side note - I know the boat (Nautilus 36 - s/v Hot Fudge) that fell.  She was a for sale the last couple of seasons here in Muskegon on Lake Michigan. Looks like she probably has a new owner (and soon a new mast!).
'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree

Ted Pounds

Seems like the insurance of either the yard or the boat that fell should pay for a thorough rig inspection for you. Good luck.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

lazybone

Sweet Jesus! The yard better pay up.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Andrew Harvey

Cory,

Parkbridge has deep pockets , but you should still contact your insurance company just in case.

Andrew
Andrew Harvey

Jim Hardesty

Cory,
Consider hiring your own rigger/surveyor, or through your insurance company.  May be the difference between a good repair and a good enough repair.  Depends on how you feel about the yard.  To me, having a boat fall over would rise serious doubts.
Lots of luck getting things fixed before spring launch.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

cmainprize

The boat is not at a Parkbridge marine.  It's a private marine in penetanguishine.  My boat did not fall, the rigging (maybe mast) got hit by the mast of the falling boat.  I plan in having a third party inspect the boat.  I will sort out who pays later.  My number now priority is to ensure everything that is may be damaged is fixed.
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

patrice

Hi,

Make sure you let your insurance cie know about the event before doing anything.

And see with them how to proceed for the inspection and reparation required if any.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Stu Jackson

Don't inspect it.

Replace it.

ALL

He hit you, replace it all, shrouds, forestay, backstay.

Do NOT do this "half-hearted."

All that tension has little to do with the wire and more to do with the swages, toggles and chainplates.

Don't forget the chainplates.

Don't forget the furling extrusion.

Don't forget your spreaders.

Become familiar with EVERY single piece of rigging.

Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Phil Spicer

I'm with Stu, plus check all the fiberglasss. Not only the deck, check all the way to the stringers where the rods attach. Get down inside to all the structures. The rigging has been stressed unlike your normal sailing.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

cmainprize

The mast came down today and it's not good news.  The upper shroud had several broken strands, the forward lower had broken stands.  It looks like the broken stands were cased by the jagged part of the broken mast from digging into the shrouds after the neighbouring mast broke.  The much bigger issue is the broken spreader mount, bent spreader and the 2 inch depression in the mast from where the spreader got pushed hard against it.  The spreader was pushed down and back by the other mast.  I suspect the mast and all standing rigging will be condemned.  It appears the load placed on the boat was not that much, but it was twisting of the the fragile spreader that caused the major damage.  The boat had to be put back in the water and brought to a different marina to have the work done.   Total PIA after it was put away for the winter.  Very glad I did it and did not wait to spring as suggested by the marina I was at who said they "checked" things over and everything looked ok.  When we loosened the port shroud the remains of the spreader bracket fell on the deck.  I am very curious to see how the insurance company deals with everything.  The have been good so far, but the bill just went up 10X today.
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

Fred Koehlmann

Hey Cory, Sorry to hear about this mess. Kathy's and my hearts go out to you. What a pain, but definitely a good thing that you're looking into it now and not the spring. Can't believe the marina saying that it looked OK. You'll have to let us know who they are. I certainly don't want to be serviced there. Hope things work out and we see you on the water in the spring. Cheers.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

cmainprize

Hi fred, we are at bayport now, james is looking after us and I expect things to work out.  I think they were hauling the boat this afternoon and putting placing us right beside the office for the winter.  I left after the mast was down.  It was a nice day to bring the boat down.  No traffic out there at all this time of year, never even saw a bird on the way down. 
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

britinusa

The bright side - you might get a new mast! And you'll know the rigging is in good shape.

:?

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP