Padded genoa luffs

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve_in_lex

Practical Sailor's article on headsails mentions padded genoa luffs.  Does anyone have experience with them?  I saw one on another boat recently -- it was essentially two ropes, about 3/8" diameter, running parallel to the luff about 2" and 4" aft, respectively and sewn into the sail.  The PS article mentions that it gives the partially-furled jib a better shape, and I imagine it puts less strain on the "new" luff.  Makes sense.
Steve Saudek
2005 C-34 MK II
"Brisa"

Jim Hardesty

My sailmaker puts some padding at the luff.  It's narrower at the top and bottom and wider in the center.  It does help.  The idea is to flatten the sail with the first turn or two.  Don't think that it effects how much you can reef and still have the sail work well.
Jim

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

Steve, PS may be a good start, but to find out more, simply go to any sailmakers' websites and read some more.  Some use foam, some use line.  On our boat, I have two jibs:  an 85% for summer high winds and our BIG (haha) 110% for winter lighter winds.  I never reef either of our jibs.  It may come from my background of hank on sails and using the right tool for the job.  The largest headsail allowed in our one design racing here is a 130.  IIRC, the factory jib was a 135.  The sticky topic on jib sizing discusses bigger jibs and how they may not really work so well.  A good read, too.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Quote from: Steve_in_lex on October 18, 2015, 09:58:00 AM
Practical Sailor's article on headsails mentions padded genoa luffs.  Does anyone have experience with them?  I saw one on another boat recently -- it was essentially two ropes, about 3/8" diameter, running parallel to the luff about 2" and 4" aft, respectively and sewn into the sail.  The PS article mentions that it gives the partially-furled jib a better shape, and I imagine it puts less strain on the "new" luff.  Makes sense.

I have a foam luff -- as always when trying to make any one thing do multiple jobs, a compromise (compared to switching to a smaller more efficient headasil.)

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Steve_in_lex

Thanks all - good to know.

Steve
Steve Saudek
2005 C-34 MK II
"Brisa"

Solstice

If you are in the market for a new Genny, then adding a foam/rope luff is a worthwhile investment. North uses the rope option and they are removable. Since the reality is that unless you are racing and have a full suit of sails, you will reef. A padded luff along with adjustable genoa cars makes a big difference in terms of minimizing the compromise that is reefing. You can also ask your sailmaker to put a couple of vertical reef lines on the foot of the genny so you know where the optimal reef size is. For example, on a 135, your sailmaker will probably suggest marks at 110 and possibly 100.

mainesail

I have owned sails with none, rope and foam. In my experience the foam eventually breaks down and serves little to no purpose other than adding to the cost of the sail when new. The rope padded luffs I have had, and raced with, have all held up better than the foam. That said the biggest improvement to sail shape, when furled, has been the Harken MK-IV furler with independent head & tack swivels for a better furled sail shape. 
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/