Desallinisator Katadyne 40 E

Previous topic - Next topic

andre

Hi everebody i'am going to Bahamas this winter and i am loocking for the desall katadin 40 E. It's the small one but for two i think is ok. Is there somebody who has this product and can say somethink about this product. Thank you.

corrected spelling
L'Apache hull#1377  1997 Quebec Canada universal 35bc

britinusa

We too are headed to the Bahamas Spring 2016. We looked at this unit (Desall Katadyn 40 E Water Maker) and decided the price was not worth it for our intended cruising plans.

The reviews we found were pretty good (plenty to see on Google) but the $4,000 was not in our budget.

We plan to fill tanks at Docks/Slips/Marinas every week which gives us 10 gallons a day or 5 gallons each per day.

So instead of a water maker (for now) we're installing a 3 phase water filter (includes UV treatment) for the water from the pump to the galley sink via a dedicated spigot and a pre fill water filter for use when filling the tanks in foreign ports.

I'll post an article about the install when complete (should be installed by end of November, right now I'm focused on the AC install)

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

George Bean

Andre, I too, am interested in the Katadin 40.  Have you started your design/engineering work yet?  I am interested to know how you plan on installing the unit, and if you are going to use an existing thru hull or planning to add one.  I have a MkII boat and can't decide if it should be mounted under the head sink or in the stern, behind the aft water tank.
George Bean
s/v Freya  1476

Stu Jackson

Folks,

The best, and IIRC the ONLY report on a watermaker from a C34 skipper was from Steve Doling, aka waterdog.

He wrote this in his 1500 & 3596 mile Trip Reports:

The watermaker was a great investment.  I've seen the other side - people buying their water in 5 gallon jugs and trying to sneak in a little shampoo as they steal a  beachside shower from a resort.   It doesn't look like fun.  We love the watermaker.
Capacity is important.   The cheaper low volume Katadyne units have to run forever to make enough water.   Something in the 150 gpd range is much better.    We have a Spectra unit.

They sold it for 85% of what they paid for it when they returned.

Steve did a complete writeup with photos.  Use the advanced search using "waterdog" as the author.

The basic concept is that a smaller watermaker could actually use MORE power to get X galllons than a larger one.  You simply have to do the math.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Jim Hardesty

This is all I know about it.  Add on page 100 of Cruising World magazine sept 2015.  "Rent a watermaker starting at $650"
www.spectrawatermakers.com
For a single trip this may be the way to go.
Thats the trip I should do.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

Noah

BTW- FYI- according to Spectra's website, the company was purchased by Katadyne January 2015!
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Good find, Noah.  Of course, the issue is capacity not the manufacturer.

andre

I am not sure exactly where i will install the katadin 40 but probably under my bed in front because i had a climatiser with a dedicated thru hull and the katadin is not big and my water tank is there but the problem is when you start the desall you need to check if the water is good before to fill the tank and we need a place to reject the salt. Other option is i can install ouside rear of the boat fixe on a plywood just under my starboard seat and ready to fill the tank in rear. I just need to install the hose in the water and the little hose of reject salt beside. I can make a nice white box and easy to see the water maker .

Stu Jackson

Quote from: andre on October 19, 2015, 04:17:34 PM
I am not sure exactly where i will install the katadin 40

but the problem is when you start the desall you need to check if the water is good before to...

Andre,

IIRC, Steve dealt with that by simply running a hose to the galley sink and using the "salt-checking-machine" to confirm good quality before switching to filling his tanks.

You might want to reread his post in the link I provided.

Good luck.

andre

Hi finally i will buy a Rain man desal portable and no installation and probably we will be two for buy that. Is there somebody who know this system. It is new i saw that at Annapolis boat show.

bayates

We have been looking at it as well.  A little pricy but worth the extra to be self contained.
Brian & Pat Yates
Hakuna Matata
2000 MKII #1517
San Diego, CA

Stu Jackson

andre

Thank you Stu i check this postà