Catalina 425

Previous topic - Next topic

Clay Greene

Catalina had a video playing at the Annapolis Boat Show of the concept for the new Catalina 425.  It looks to be a significant departure for the company from past styling.  Only one window above deck.  Three rectangular windows below decks.  Self-tacking jib with option for tracks for an overlapping headsail.  Twin wheels so similar to the 400 in that respect.  Other features looked similar to the "5" series boats. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Fred Koehlmann

Wow, we just say the Catalina 425 at the Toronto Boat show this week. Lovely boat, with some amazing nice features. Didn't realize that it was already a year old in he making (based on this earlier post and some Google searching).

Just curious what other think about it (other than the price)? We've been playing around with the idea of perhaps getting more room, with our kids increasing in size (one's starting to scrap the ceiling with his head). We we initially looking at the C-42, 3 cabin centre-line, which we also like, but is hard to find.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Fred Koehlmann on January 25, 2017, 10:23:01 AM

We we initially looking at the C-42, 3 cabin centre-line, which we also like, but is hard to find.

Good call, Fred.  That was the best layout they ever made for that boat.  The brochure on the CY website (under the Archived Brochure tab) has all three or four they built.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Dave Spencer

I too saw the C425 at the Toronto Boat Show.  Very nice looking boat.  Comments from my recollection(all the way from yesterday!):

Port side flexible cabin with the access from the cockpit through a giant sized lazerette is excellent.
Large hatch on the transom provides great stowage for life rafts or other supplies.  It also provides a great space to crawl into for maintenance access.
The absence of a towrail is notable.  I think toerails are great but I noted from the Sail magazine video posted on the C425 that Gerry deliberately deleted it to save weight.
There is a notable bowsprit for the anchor that would also provide great mounting for the tack of an asymmetrical spinnaker.  The bowsprit is far longer than anything I've noticed on other Catalinas. I assume it is included in the LOA measurement.
Headroom is amazing.  6'9"?   Multiple overhead flush hatches I the salon provide good light and presumably excellent ventilation.
I'm not a fan of the split seating on the stbd side with a games table / nav table between two seats.  In my view, that eliminates a "snoozing area" for those days when rain, cold or heat keep you out of the cockpit. 
The V berth is set up to sleep with your head is forward.  I think it would be cozy for two to sleep that way.  Although it requires some acrobatics, I like sleeping feet forward which gives everyone more room.  Also, there is nothing better than a nice gentle midnight breeze blowing on your face from the forward hatch.
All tankage appears to be low and near the centre of the boat based on my limited inspection during the show.
Self tacking jib doesn't excite me but I could likely get used to it.  I'm not 100% sold on furling mains either.
The forward lounging area looks ok on the video but I'm not sure where one would stow the cushions while under way, when it rains or when away from the boat for the week.  Perhaps they are very securely fitted and dry very quickly.  I should have asked about that.
Galley looks excellent with two refrigerators / freezers.
Stbd side cockpit seat folds out to provide and expanded area where you could sleep in good weather. 
The pushpit rail extends all the way forward to the boarding gates before giving way to conventional wire lifelines. 

The C425 was miles ahead of the Beneteau 41.1 sitting next to it.
The Hanse 415 on display at the show impressed me.  I've never been a big fan of Hanse interiors but I liked this one.  It sold on the first day of the show.

I still love our C34 and we are definitely not in the market for another boat!   :D

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

kwaltersmi

I went through the 425 at the Chicago show a couple weeks ago. Here are a few random impressions:

1) It felt like a 7/8th's scale 445 on the inside.
2) The absence of the aluminum toe rail is a plus in my book, since it likely means fewer holes in the deck/hull for water intrusion.
3) The cabin finishings are still very much recognizable as Catalina and distinct from the Euro boats also at the show (Bene, Jeanneau, Hanse, etc.).
4) The stern scoop is small for my tastes, both aesthetically and functionally.
5) Standard self-tacking jib and in-mast furling main are pluses for my (typically) lazy sailing.
6) Foredeck sun pad and starboard cockpit bench fold-out pad are firsts on a Catalina (as far as I'm aware)
7) Love the twin aft cabins, particularly since we're a family of 5. I also like this layout on the C42 as mentioned above.
'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree

Noah

Yeah but will it do this:
https://youtu.be/GLobesQDSAU
Or this:
https://youtu.be/fo0iVKTJYAg
Vandee Globe Challenge single-handed round the world racers. 1st and 2nd place.
:shock: LOL!
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

I just reviewed the specs from the CY website.  Interesting boat.  When the 375 first came out we went to the Oakland boat show and did a photographic essay on it.  For those of you who have seen this boat, did you take any pictures?  Wanna share?  :D

"Common rail diesel" 57 HP Yanmar.   IIRC, common rail is newer diesel engine technology, which I think means it needs electricity to continue to operate, unlike our naturally aspirated old clunker Universals.  Did I get this right?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Paulus

I think so.  It is also suppose to be more fuel efficient and burn cleaner. 
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

lazybone

In general, it simplifies the high pressure fuel pump but relies on a computer and sensor to meter fuel and activate the injectors.  Ok for trucks but Give me simple and stupid
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Stu Jackson

I agree.

This is how they work:

On diesel engines, it features a high-pressure (over 1,000 bar or 100 MPa or 15,000 psi) fuel rail feeding individual solenoid valves, as opposed to a low-pressure fuel pump feeding unit injectors (or pump nozzles).

Modern common rail systems, whilst working on the same principle, are governed by an engine control unit (ECU) which opens each injector electrically rather than mechanically.

From wikipedia:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_rail

I sure like KISS.

Paulus

They are also more expensive from my reading about the new engines.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

lazybone

It's all about emissions.  The manufacturers design the engine for their largest consumers, who unfortunately are not sailboaters.  In the future you're going to have to keep spare computers, crank sensors, and diagnostic readers on board if you want to leave home.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Braxton

When I took Nigel Calder's diesel engine class his advise for do it yourself types for working on common rail fuel systems was simple.   Don't do it, not ever.   The worry was the because they operate at such higher pressures the old mechanical injection systems that the consequences of doing something wrong can be quite severe and possibly dangerous.

That advice runs contrary to the general ethos of most people who frequent this board.

On the plus side, the common rail engines do run remarkably quietly.    I wish we could get the best of both worlds some how.
Braxton Allport
1988 #805, Ballou - Tacoma WA

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Braxton on January 26, 2017, 07:17:51 PM

1.   That advice runs contrary to the general ethos of most people who frequent this board.

2.   On the plus side, the common rail engines do run remarkably quietly.    I wish we could get the best of both worlds some how.

1.  Not necessarily, Braxton.  Seems we are a bunch of DIY-ers, and if you can't work on a common rail engine, then: doh   :cry4` :shock:.  Not so great, eh?

2.  Quiet?  I mentioned some time ago that I can feel my engine so much through the cockpit floor such that I know when the coupling throws a bolt!  Then I go fix it.  :D  I'd rather have noise I can fix than quiet that I can't.  How about you?  :D

Dave Spencer

QuoteFor those of you who have seen this boat, did you take any pictures?  Wanna share?  :D

Stu,
I have attached a few pictures from two of my three visits to the Toronto Boat Show.  They are exterior only since the cockpit and interior of the boat was closed for a sales tour when I stopped by to take interior pictures yesterday.  They aren't great... I usually don't take many pictures of boats since the brochures and websites always have better pictures but they are few and far between for the Catalina 425 so far.
In my earlier post, I speculated that the bowsprit may have been part of the LOA.  Not the case... the LOA is listed as 43'6" on the spec sheet on the Catalina website.  LOD is 41'8". 
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario