two different batteries

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

Quote from: anaisdog on October 13, 2015, 08:43:25 AM
thanks.  i really didn't understand the group part.  i will call deka. thanks

Group is a standard designation on the size and capacity of the battery.  just like in FORDS!  :D

e.g., group 24 is "small", group 31 is "large"  The larger the designation (i.e., group) the larger the dimensions, so there's a limit as to what will fit in the battery tray.  I believe the pdf I linked you to had the dimensions.  Again, 1st you need to figure out if you need just startinbg, and/or how much house capacity you need to survive, then match the battery to those needs.  Are your dying?  Age? etc?

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

becki, Ken's right about learning how to size your house bank for you intended use.  This is covered in the "Energy Budget" link in the "Electrical Systems 101" topic, here: 

The All-Important Energy Budget:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3976.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Quote from: Stu Jackson on October 13, 2015, 11:49:39 AM
becki, Ken's right about learning how to size your house bank for you intended use.  This is covered in the "Energy Budget" link in the "Electrical Systems 101" topic, here: 

The All-Important Energy Budget:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3976.0.html

Stu,

MY bad... I didn't realize you had a sample budget calk online. 

Another down-and-dirty way is to simulate, measuring the total amps for whatever sailing profile is :wort case" for a particular owner  -- not 100% precise and accounting for all conditions, but a quick alternative to counting amps on every bulb and radio, etc.  As many may know, a clip-on ammeter (multimeter) is available for about 5 bucks (oftentimes free at Harbor Freight) but it means putting it in line with a battery cable -- but a no-fuss clamp-on DC ammeter can be had for < 40-50 bucks.  Just don't run the starting motor current thru them!!  Regardless it takes some electrical know how and isn't a A-B-C follow these directions -- but usually everyone has some friend somewhere with enough sparks knowledge that, for a cold beer or two can run through the calculations or a simulated test aboard of amps consumed.

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: KWKloeber on October 13, 2015, 01:05:32 PMfor a cold beer or two can run through the calculations or a simulated test aboard of amps consumed.

Right after the Energy Budget link in the "Electrical Systems 101" topic is this one:

Record of Daily Energy Use of 100 ah per day:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6353.msg41471.html#msg41471

But, heck, I'll take the cold beer anyway!  :thumb:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

KWKloeber

Quote from: Stu Jackson on October 13, 2015, 01:23:07 PM
Quote from: KWKloeber on October 13, 2015, 01:05:32 PMfor a cold beer or two can run through the calculations or a simulated test aboard of amps consumed.

Right after the Energy Budget link in the "Electrical Systems 101" topic is this one:

Record of Daily Energy Use of 100 ah per day:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6353.msg41471.html#msg41471

But, heck, I'll take the cold beer anyway!  :thumb:

Damn, that's one expensive ammeter!   :rolling

Stu Jackson

Quote from: KWKloeber on October 13, 2015, 01:27:53 PM
Damn, that's one expensive ammeter!   :rolling

Yeah, but it makes Sierra Nevada pale ale, too. :clown

anaisdog

the batteries, while barely used (probably less than 100 hours ) are dated 2010.  I have been told, all along but by people who use their boats WAY more than i do, that it's dangerous to have batteries that old.  but no, it starts right up
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

Craig Illman

Becky - It all depends on how they've been used or abused. Five or six years could be getting toward the end of their useful lives, but if they're still doing the job? When it gets colder and the engine cranks harder, you'll have a better clue.

anaisdog

true but she's on the hard now.  i'll see in the spring.  i guess there is no hurry to spend money now!

KWKloeber

Quote from: anaisdog on October 14, 2015, 05:54:57 AM
the batteries, while barely used (probably less than 100 hours ) are dated 2010.  I have been told, all along but by people who use their boats WAY more than i do, that it's dangerous to have batteries that old.  but no, it starts right up

Mannnnn it takes forever to get complete info.

Suggestions:

1. Find better advisors. It seems like just about every question revolves around what some 'expert' has told you --- that is, well, questionable at best.  I think they're messing with your head because you're a newbie.  Your batteries aren't going to explode or kill you because they are 5 years old.

2. Just take both batteries to Walmart and for zero cost they will load test them and give you a report of their cranking amps compared to the original spec.  Done deal.  Ask them to put them on the "good" charger/tester, not use the hand-held tester.  Since they are starting batteries that's all the testing you need to do on them.

3. Give us as much / complete info up front as you can!

Cheers,
KK

anaisdog

i did.  i said what they were, in the initial posting. i'll try the walmart idea.  thanks

KWKloeber

Quote from: anaisdog on October 11, 2015, 07:33:10 AM
i have, in my 1986 c34, two different batteries - a deka 24m7 and a deka 24n6.  knowing that nothing is normal, on our boats, is this normal, to have two different sizes of batteries?  is there a manufacturer to stay away from?  i see no reason not to get deka again but i don't know any better either.  thanks

Quote from: anaisdog on October 12, 2015, 05:44:11 AM
is there any reason to have two different batteries or are they really the same?  this is all new to me, as you know.

Quote from: anaisdog on October 12, 2015, 08:11:48 AM
i only do day sails and the fridge is only on with shore power, of course.

I guess we have way different versions of complete info,

Here's complete info.

I have 2 deka batts, an X and a Y, both barely used (less than 100 hours) but dated 2010.  Many people have told me it's dangerous to have batteries that old, but they start the engine right up.  I only day sail.  Do I need new batteries and if so should I keep the same kind and size and manufacturer?

Answer - find new friends for advice.  Take them to Walmart (the batteries, lose the advisors somewhere) and ask them to load test them on the good (not hand held) tester,  Let us know the results.

Done.

:rolling
kk

anaisdog