Throttle Linkage/heater hose; Aft H2O Tank Vent; Port Lazarette; Propane Locker

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon W

Thought I'd pass on some findings to other new old boat owners. I came across the following doing back to back projects. For reference I have a 1987 MK1, hull #493.

1.   While cleaning up the mess from the original engine compartment insulation I replaced, I noticed that the throttle linkage
     interfered with the heater hoses. A slight adjustment to the routing of the hoses fixed it. No more interference.

2.   While replacing the fuel level gauge wiring, I had left the port cockpit lazarette open even though it was raining. I noticed
     water leaking into the aft cabin. Looking around I found that the floor of the lazarette and aft wall of the lazarette are not
     sealed. They had gaps I could see through from the inside of the boat. I used a tube of above the waterline waterproof sealant
     from Home Depot to close all the gaps.

3.   The aft water tank vent hose connects to the top of the tank with a ½" hose. Come to find out the other end of the hose
     connects to a 5/8" hose barb on the end of the silver vent cap on the starboard side of the cockpit. I changed the tank
     connection to a 90 deg fitting with 5/8" hose barb and ½" MIP to screw into the tank, and a 5/8" hose.

4.   While attaching the hose to the cockpit vent fitting, the propane locker limits access. While figuring out how to get in there I
      noticed the propane fuel line that goes to the galley.  My locker has top and bottom vents going overboard, a very small
      propane tank, and all the other bits inside the locker with a lid that seals all of it shut. Except for the propane line to the
      galley which was screwed onto a fitting attached to the outside of the locker. I plan to replace the whole thing with a 10#
      tank, room for a few smaller BBQ tanks, and move it to starboard corner under the corner of the cockpit with some way to
      slide it toward the centerline to remove the tank to refill when the seat is opened. Haven't designed it yet so don't know how I
      will keep it from sliding when I don't want it to. I've read what others have done on this forum and will be copying previous
      ideas. Should be an interesting challenge.

Jon W.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca