Another Autohelm 4000+ issue

Previous topic - Next topic

John Langford

The Autohelm drive ring on my wheel was making harsh sounds during a recent voyage and then broke into two parts making it impossible to steer until I removed it from the wheel. Not the best situation when underway😬 in this case the problem was the fracturing of two of the plastic posts supporting small plastic wheels which allow the rings to turn smoothly.

The good news is that I was able to fix the problem relatively easily. I didn't think gluing the posts back together would be strong enough so I drilled holes in the spot where the broken posts were secured to the ring and used longer metal screws through the body of the ring to reattach the posts around which the wheels revolve. It now runs quietly and smoothly.

Perhaps the more important message is that you shouldn't hesitate to gently pry the two parts of the drive ring apart if it isn't functioning properly. My local Raymarine technician warned against doing so arguing that in many instances it was impossible to put the two rings back together again. After my experience I think that opinion is rubbish and probably self serving. He wanted to sell me a new drive ring and motor. The two rings come apart easily and go back together without a problem.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

britinusa

I assisted a buddy with the start of the install of his NEW Raymarine Auto Pilot, the wheel component looks identical to the 4000.

However, the two pins (axles) have been modified, they are easily replaceable.

The two faces of the wheel ring are held in place by the screws that secure the ring to the wheel.

Is that the same on the 4000 ???

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

John Langford

Hi Paul
It is the same for the 4000+. There are three plastic fasteners each held by 2 screws that hold the drive ring to three spokes of the wheel. But the three fasteners are not as sturdy as those found on newer versions of this autopilot. One of mine broke (I think from too much UV exposure over the years) but by screwing down the two broken pieces I was still able to refasten the ring to the wheel.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S