New Owner, Introducing Myself

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex W

Hello All,

I just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself.  I've been lurking around the forum for a couple months as I researched my purchase, but as I am now the owner of #713, I thought I should introduce myself.

I have joined the association and am working my way through all of the past tech notes.  I enjoyed finding a couple of notes from the original owners... They made a couple of improvements I didn't realize were not stock features  :D

The boat is a bit of a project (and was priced accordingly), but I expect to have her ready to splash in the spring. 

Thanks to everyone on this forum that has created such a wealth of information here!
Firefly
'88 c34 #713
Middle River, MD

sailaway

Welcome  the project's never seem to stop, there are good comfortable boats. Charlie

britinusa

Welcome Alex,
like you, we're recent buyers, hull #463 Tall Rig Fin Keel.

It's boat fun learning the new boat. Sadly, I'm not aware of the original owners, but am able to talk with the previous owner.

I believe our boat was named 'The Leprechaun' at some point (ghost lettering on the transom.)

Looking forward to seeing your posts about your project and then your sailing exploits. I have learnt a huge amount from gleaning the posts and tech notes here.

Where are you located, boat model and is the boat a 1987 or 1988 ???

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

kwaltersmi

Congrats and welcome. As you know, this THE source for C34 info as well as just good sound sailing advice in general.
'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree

Ron Hill

Alex : Glad to have you as a new (to you) C34 owner.

If you haven't already, please read thru the "Critical" updates/upgrades and take them seriously.  Most are safety issues!!

Again Welcome Aboard,  Ron
Ron, Apache #788

Alex W

Thanks everyone,

In my pre-purchase inspections I was happy to see that this boat had the wiring harness and alternator bracket upgrade completed.  Checking the sheave pins and the fuel pick up tube is on my list.  Also on my immediate to do list is replacing the prop shaft, cutlass bearing, engine mounts and all the rubber hoses around the engine.  Then it will be on to re-bedding chain plates and stanchions, and scraping some of the worst bottom paint buildup I have ever seen.

The boat is an '88 model year.  Right now the boat is on the hard off the Delaware River, just north of Philadelphia.  Next spring I plan to move it to Middle River, north of Baltimore.

Firefly
'88 c34 #713
Middle River, MD

lazybone

Quote from: Alex W on September 14, 2015, 07:57:15 PM
Hello All,

I just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself.  I've been lurking around the forum for a couple months as I researched my purchase, but as I am now the owner of #713, I thought I should introduce myself.

I have joined the association and am working my way through all of the past tech notes.  I enjoyed finding a couple of notes from the original owners... They made a couple of improvements I didn't realize were not stock features  :D

The boat is a bit of a project (and was priced accordingly), but I expect to have her ready to splash in the spring. 

Thanks to everyone on this forum that has created such a wealth of information here!

Congratulations on your new boat from a fellow Middle Riverian .  I'm located At Bowley's Quarters.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Noah

Welcome! Lots of projects on your list. Curious: how did you decide the engine mounts and prop shaft needed replacing?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Alex W

Noah,

The prop shaft shows a lot of wear around the cutlass bearing - so bad that you can see it with a little push you can see it around the cutlass bearing before pulling the shaft.  This is my first inboard engine boat so it's all new to me, but I can see how this would result from bad alignment.  As far as the engine mounts... I guess the easy answer is because the surveyor said so.  They appear to be original and as long as I'm changing out the shaft and doing the alignment, I figure I might as well do it on new mounts.
Firefly
'88 c34 #713
Middle River, MD

Noah

Sounds right. Have you run the engine in the water yet to see/feel how bad it is/vibrates/etc.?  I am about to change out my bronze shaft, coupler, stuffing box, cutlass bearing , and install my new Flex-o-fold 3-blade prop  (which has been In the box for 6-mo.) waiting for me to get my act togehter.  Finally, I have this work and  a bottom job scheduled for next month. My motor mounts are ok as engine only has 600 hrs. However, I do have some gelcoat blisters I need to take of this haulout that may drag things out awhile on the hard.
Standard Rig

Ken Juul

Age has more to do with engine mounts than engine hours.  The rubber dries out and gets hard, transmitting vibes rather than absorbing.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Noah

Good point. So,
1. Am I lucky?
2. Don't know how much vibration is "correct" and/or is too much?
3. BOTH? :D
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Noah on September 18, 2015, 02:53:51 PM
Good point. So,
1. Am I lucky?
2. Don't know how much vibration is "correct" and/or is too much?
3. BOTH? :D

Noah,

I think what Ken is trying to say is: "While you're in there..."  do the mounts, too.  ITWMB, that's what I'd do.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

Grrrr... I'd rather do any boat project other than engine work, but you're probably correct. Guess I've some more Forum studying to do. Vetus 50s vs 75s, vs, etc. blah blah :shock: :? :D
Standard Rig