Hull Area Below the Waterline?

Previous topic - Next topic

KeelsonGraham

We'll see how it goes. I'm only doing it because I had the hull blasted and the epoxy fell off. Given that I was back to plain gelcoat I thought - why not.

If it lasts for 10 years it'll prolly see me out! :?

I'm getting it done professionally because they guarantee it won't fall off. I'll take piccies and write it up Jim. Best test will be a year from now when I haul out again.
2006 Catalina 34 Mk II. Hull No:1752. Engine: M35 BC.

Noah

I get three years on my Petit Trinidad high copper content hard paint. But, I have a diver "clean" the hull monthly. One of these days I (or a new owner) will probably have to soda blast the hull to remove years of paint build-up to get back to a racing smooth surface.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Guys : Have done my own for many years.  It takes about a gallon of ablative and I only thin about 5% no more than maybe 8%. 

After the pressure wash at haulout I let the hull dry over the next 5-6 months.  Then I apply TSP (from a garden sprayer) and lightly scrub the bottom and then rinse off.  Firm believer that paint will stick to anything that's clean! Have been doing that for15+ years (after we blasted off all of the hard paint).

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Quote from: Ron Hill on January 23, 2023, 02:29:53 PM
Guys : Have done my own for many years.  It takes about a gallon of ablative and I only thin about 5% no more than maybe 8%. 

After the pressure wash at haulout I let the hull dry over the next 5-6 months.  Then I apply TSP (from a garden sprayer) and lightly scrub the bottom and then rinse off.  Firm believer that paint will stick to anything that's clean! Have been doing that for15+ years (after we blasted off all of the hard paint).

A few thoughts
If I was in a climate where I "let the hull dry over the next 5-6 months..." I might do something different.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

waughoo

Quote from: Ron Hill on January 23, 2023, 02:29:53 PM
After the pressure wash at haulout I let the hull dry over the next 5-6 months. 

This shocked me when I first read it until I remembered not everyone keeps their boat in the water all year long.  I ALWAYS forget about that.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Ron Hill

Guys : Here in Virginia and north only a few of the hardy keep their boats in the water during the snowy winter. 

I did that for one winter and you have to be very careful walking down a snow/ice covered dock and climbing on to a snow covered boat.  You'd better know where all of the dock ladders are because there's usually NO ONE around!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788