Salon speaker location options

Previous topic - Next topic

Roc

I did a search and found the posts describe cockpit speaker location.  I'm looking to upgrade the stereo.  I currently have Poly Planar box speakers mounted on the bulkhead facing aft.  They don't have a great sound and was thinking that flush mounted speakers, mounted in a cabinet somewhere, would give better bass and better overall sound quality.  I understand that speakers need to be mounted in an enclosed cabinet to function properly, and I'm wondering were you folks have installed them to get some ideas.  I'm thinking about the the upper little cabinets, just forward of the port (ports below the rubrail) on both sides of the salon.  They would face directly aft.  In measuring the available teak to make the hole (I hate to drill into good wood!!), I wouldn't be able to fit a 6 1/2 diameter speaker, but would need a smaller diameter to fit.  Has anyone put a speaker in those cabinets and do they give good sound?  If anyone has pictures of their mount locations, that would help with some ideas.

Thanks!
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

patrice

Hi,

Instead of installing permanent speaker in the boat, I went with Bluetooth portable one.

This the one we have.  The sound is good and can be brought with us if we go on a pic nic or other ....

http://ca.jbl.com/product-detail-new-jbl/jbl-charge-black-.html
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

dfloeter

We installed six inch speakers in the side cabinets facing forward. I reasoned that I wished to not see them and the sound would bounce around anyway. Sound doesn't bounce as much as hoped but the installation works well.
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

Ken Juul

Boze outdoor box speakers.  PO mounted them on the port side on the bulkheads fore and aft.  Simplifies running wires from the nav station mounted radio.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I also had the Bose (I cheated on the spelling because I have a Bose system at home) speakers on my boat but I mounted them from the forward port and starboard facing aft and I was very happy with the sound. I wish I could have used them outside but I already had two big holes in the fiberglass for the existing speakers.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ron Hill

Roc : I had two small 5" enclosed speakers that I mounted on the FWD corners of the salon.
Then I found two smaller 3 " self contained speakers that set on the shelf above the aft sliders that I wired in to the other 2 channels.

Easy to run the wires, because I had the stereo radio backed in to the Vberth hanging locker.  So the control head was on the Vberth bulkhead on the starboard side.

A thought

Ron, Apache #788