Oil Pan Removal

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulus

I know there was a topic on this subject.  Can't seem to find it.  I want to replace the casket.
Thanks,
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Stu Jackson

The only one I recall is in the tech wiki, under engines, not a whole lot of detail on the oil pan removal and replacement.

http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Rebuilding_the_M25-XP

You could also do the Google search based on the sticky under "Searching Tips & Tricks."

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7570.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Paulus

Oil pan has been removed and waiting for new caskets.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Ron Hill

Sometimes, working on boat engines can be deadly!!    8)
Ron, Apache #788

Paulus

I did loose a lot of blood.  Meant gaskets.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Rick Allen

Paul, are you replacing the oil pan while the engine is in place or did you have to raise it up? I didn't think it could be done while the engine was in place.
Enquiring minds want to know...
Rick Allen, C34 IA Commodore
Former owner of "PainKiller", 1988 C34 MKI, Sail#746, std. rig, wing keel.

Paulus

I removed the oil pan to replace the gasket and also after 25yrs to check the build up in the oil pan.  Removing the oil pan (18 bolts) was slow but can be done without raising the engine, the 4 on the back side were difficult. Removing the old gasket was a challenge until I borrowed a special tool from the mechanic at Torresen.
I am having Torresen put in the new gasket and replace the oil pan.  Cannot afford to loose any more blood.  It did take me a whole day.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Ron Volk

Paul,

After removing the pan what did it look like after 25 years?
Ron - GOOSE III - Hull 1235 - 1993
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA

Stu Jackson

Paul, what tools did you use and have you learned any tips & tricks for doing this that would be helpful to others?  Do we need a "secret handshake" to learn about the tool from TOAD?  :D

Paulus

There was about 1/3 cup sludge in the pan.  The pickup for the oil pump was clean.  I do change my oil and filter every 50 hrs.
No special tools were needed.  I used a 10mm shallow walled deep socket with a 3" extension.  Easy to break loose and then removed my racket and turn the extension and socket by hand.  Lots of patience.  I used a 3/8 inch drive.  I did not have a thin walled deep socket for a 1/4 inch drive then I could have put a screw drive type of drive on to remove them after they came loose.  To put it back I will buy a 1/4 thin walled deep socket to put the bolts back in.  Should make it easier and faster to get the bolts started.  Hope to finish next week.
PS:  You do need thin arms.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Paulus

Finished :D  The old gasket was the most difficult part to remove.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Stu Jackson

Paul,

Congratulations.   :clap :clap :clap

You have completed a major project.

Any chance you could do a Tech Note writeup for publication in Mainsheet magazine, and subsequent post to the Tech Notes Online?

That would really help us all.

Ron Hill

Paul : When you get the new oil pan (or your old oil pan) here's an idea:

Move the oil drain plug (drill a new hole) with it's tube to the rear of the pan (lowest point).  Then install a plug in the old hole.

You'll then be able to drain ALL of the old oil out of the pan during an oil change!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Paulus

Ron, I did not replace the oil pan.  The next time I get the urge to see what has collected in the oil pan, I am going to do the following.  We always take the boat out after living aboard in the North Channel for 2-3 months.  When we get back, the oil is sucked out and a new filter is installed, before oil is added and the boat is in the sling to be put in dry dock, I am going to have Torresen raise the back end of the boat, put a pan under the engine and take out the drain plug.  I think this might be a faster and easier solution.  :D
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944