Battery Charger

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulus

I posted this about 2 years ago and wondered if the thinking on battery chargers have changed.  I have a Pro Mariner and noticed that it is very hot to touch.  I am going to replace it this fall.  Last time I posted this topic most of you recommended the Pro Mariner Pronautic P or the Sterling Pro Charger Ultra.  Any new thoughts?
Thanks,
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Stu Jackson

Nope, those are still the two to consider.  Please, trash that old ProMariner, NOW!  You have most likely read Critical Upgrades.  They can burn your boat down.  Not good... :cry4`
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Paulus

It is coming out this week.  Have not been using it for some time.  Solar panel is doing a great job.
Thanks,
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

KWKloeber

Quote from: Paulus on August 18, 2015, 08:26:57 AM
It is coming out this week.  Have not been using it for some time.  Solar panel is doing a great job.
Thanks,
Paul

Which ProNautic-P model are you looking at?

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Paulus

Cool Change 1989 #944

KWKloeber

Quote from: Paulus on August 18, 2015, 12:26:23 PM
Looking at the 1230

Keep in mind that typically a charger capacity of about 10% of the entire battery capacity would be in line.  So figure up your house and starting battery Ahs.  Of course that would be modified based on your type of use and charging profiles.

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Paulus

Thanks for the advice.  I did go to Mainsails website for additional info.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

kwaltersmi

I replaced the OEM Charles charger with the Sterling ProCharge Ultra early last season and have been very happy with the performance - FWIW.
'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree

Paulus

Removed my old charger today.  Waiting for the new one to arrive.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

KWKloeber

Quote from: Paulus on August 20, 2015, 12:42:19 PM
Removed my old charger today.  Waiting for the new one to arrive.
Paul

Cool let us know how it goes and any issues during install.  Pics?
where did you find a good deal on the charger?

Kk

Paulus

I did not know there were good deals for anything related to a boat, but I bought it locally and paid the $$$.  Any ideas for installation other the the same spot, forward of the starboard water tank. 
Would like to put it under the galley or in the wet locker (our pantry).  Any ideas would be welcomed.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Paulus on August 20, 2015, 04:49:48 PM

...for installation other the the same spot, forward of the starboard water tank.  

Would like to put it under the galley or in the wet locker (our pantry).  Any ideas would be welcomed.

Paul,

Like real estate:  ventilation, ventilation, ventilation.  One of our skippers reported his old charger went nuts 'cuz he never knew he had to clean the lint off the cooling louvres!!!

Out of sight, out of mind...

The inboard end of the hanging locker aft of the nav station is fine, even if you have shelves in there, although solid shelves wouldn't be as good as the open basket type.

Another solution our skippers have found is under the nav station, on the "wall" to the hanging locker/galley shelves.

Please don't hide it inside one of those cubbies behind the saloon seat-backs, like my PO did with his original charger (actually the dealer did it, but he lived with it).

Under the galley is good for Mark IIs.  If you do:  Just make sure your connections are covered adequately and that you check the hose clamps on your sink drains as part of regular maintenance.

The Mark Is are really not made for putting anything else under the galley sink.  Please be aware that the space under the galley sink in the Mark IIs is larger than our Mark Is, because they eliminated the flip up counter and extended the port side wall further to port into the fore & aft walkway in the saloon.  I don't recommend putting it there (i.e., under the galley sink on a Mark I).

Nice purchase, you'll be very happy.

Did you get the remote?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

$349

Moisture and heat are the bane of electronics!

Ken

Paulus

I did not buy the remote.  I think that I am going to put it in the pantry locker(hanging wet locker.) I did have a compression test on the engine(380), also had the glow plugs checked and send a sample of oil to a lab.  Every thing check out.  I will be putting in the new charger in the near future and also replacing the oil pan casket.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Paulus

Did go back to MaineSails web site and paid closer attention to the Temperature  Sensor.  Need to install if you truly want a smart charger.  Good advice on Maine Sail's web site.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944