batteries/solar/alternator/ Adler Barbour. ..arrangement..

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Quote from: mainesail on August 14, 2015, 03:52:27 PM...

I have an owner of a J-42 who was burning through an $1800.00 bank of Lifeline AGM batteries every 2 years (approx 45 deep cycles). All he had was a super dumb Hitachi 80A alternator and he's on a mooring.....  He's now on year 5 and his Lifeline's tested this spring (May) at 94% of new capacity. That is a major cost savings! How? Solar, temp compensation, proper wiring, regular equalization, he stops discharging at 12.2V, and a new high output alt & regulator with temp sensing. It is looking like he should get 7+ years out of this bank or a total savings of over $4000.00.

This is a perfect example of how to maintain your bank(s).

It is called PROPER MANAGEMENT.

Without it, Maine Sail is right, you ARE murdering your batteries.

The equipment is there to do it properly.

If you don't, given all the information that we have assembled here on this website, then it's only your own fault.

Your boat, your choice.   :D

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

2ndwish

Ok- my last post on this subject...If you read Mainesail's last post carefully, he says that Ron will get 2 years assuming he mooring sails. The data presented from PS support that. Ron does not appear to mooring sail (only he can comment on this). I completely agree that repeated partial recharges without fully charging with a three stage charger in between will reduce the life of his batteries. That is not what he appears to be doing. He says he deep discharges, partially recharges with solar panels and then fully charges (hopefully with a modern three-stage charger) when he returns to the dock. Repeated PSOC for thirty days- not a good idea, a day or two , probably not such a big deal. Hard to call it murder, but that's my opinion. Your boat, your choice.