7" Latex Deluxe Mattress for C34 MkII Forward V-Berth

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred Koehlmann

We have a Portland custom cut mattress for the forward v-berth. We are willing to let it go for free, if someone can make use of it and are able to come and pick it up. The spec's are:

• three pieces, cut to fit C34 MkII V-berth (less a few inches) :wink:
  • 7" thick Latex, medium firmness
  • Dri-Tek mattress protector for each piece

We bought this mattress from Portland Boat Mattress for last season (2014), and when we received it and put it into the forward berth, we found that it was, in my opinion, too small. Our sales person explained that they make the mattress 1/2" smaller all around, to ensure that you have room to tuck your bed sheets and cover in. Unfortunately this was a detail that he had neglected to tell us, other wise we would have told him to cut it exactly to fit.  The mattress we asked for was in three pieces (port and starboard pieces and one that fits into the centre of the vee at the head).

The mattresses as they were made, meant that I would always fall in between the two mattresses into the crack, as they separated. And in my opinion they were less more than 1/2" all around. The dealer said that they would re-cut and replace the mattress. It took until this spring before we saw the new mattress, and yes this time it fits just fine. They however had no interest in taking the old one back. I guess the shipping would have been too much and they would have had a hard time selling a used mattress.

The way we "made do" with them last year was to insert and additional 4" of foam at the head (aft section) of the mattress. In the space between the mattress and the port and starboard lockers. IN the centre section I used the old cushion board and screwed a 2x3 along the end to hold the small mattress into place. It worked and I probably would have left as such, but when you pay as much as we did for the mattress, you want it to fit without having to jury rig something. The mattresses are just a season old and are in good shape.

So now we have our good mattress in the boat, and this comfortable but slightly off in size mattress in our basement. Is anyone interested?

FYI: We are in Toronto, Canada. That will probably limit the audience somewhat.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Fred Koehlmann

Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine