Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

KWKloeber

Quote from: britinusa on July 23, 2015, 12:43:09 PM
Working on my 'spares' list.

Is this an Oberdorfer pump ??

Yes, it looks like a 3/8" (not 1/2") inlet/outlet.  A 202M-15 (cover has a gasket.) 
If the cover has an O-ring, then N202M-15

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Paul : Yes, it is an Oberdoffer.
Ron, Apache #788

britinusa

Any servicing tips?

I'll be on the boat in the morning, doing a 2nd oil change. I could take a closer look at the pump at that time.

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

KWKloeber

Quote from: britinusa on July 24, 2015, 08:45:46 AM
Any servicing tips?

I'll be on the boat in the morning, doing a 2nd oil change. I could take a closer look at the pump at that time.

Paul

"Inspecting" more than "servicing." 
Any leaks from the weep hole indicates a seal is leaking and needs replacing (possibly shaft also if worn/scored.)
Pull and inspect impeller, but then you might ruin gasket if not the o-ring style cover.  You can make a paper gasket by tracing cover/body.

I recommend that customers carry the following:

1) A NEW impeller (not an old one) for an emergency and for the next replacement.   
2) Replace the impeller every 2 years (depending of course on how much you motor.)  For under $20 a year it's great insurance. 
3) Carry the old one (in addition to a new one) for an emergency, emergency replacement.
4) A few paper cover gaskets (or one o-ring if the new style)
5) A spare engine mount gasket (I prefer the Kubota gasket p/n 15296-88130 over the Westerbeke gasket.)
6) If the mount happens to be bolts instead of studs/nuts, recommend installing stainless studs and stainless/nylock flange nuts (kit.)

It you ever need to change the pump, recommend the M-16 (1/2" inlet/outlet.)

Dumping the Universal/Westerbeke OEM hose barb elbows (goes for Sherwood pump also) if in salt water - they are cast brass, not bronze!!!  I use generic marleon fittings, because all the bronze hose barbs available are a POS.

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

britinusa

Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Stu Jackson

Yes, it is.  Thank goodness!!! :clap :clap :clap

Here's how to do what Ken suggests:

Oberdorfer Pump Rebuild 101 - http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6766.0.html [Link added to main page of C34 Tech wiki]
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."