mainsheet shackle

Previous topic - Next topic

sailr4

Just a friendly reminder to check those high tension shackles...
Rob Fowler,1989 C34 #889 Tall/Wing, M25XP - No Worries, Coronado, CA

I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Noah

That looks disappointing...
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

In addition, it appears to be the wrong shackle for the job.  It seems that the halyard wore itself through the metal.

We use this one:

http://marine.wichard.com/fiche-A|WICHARD|1494-0202060401000000-ME.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

sail : It looks to me like the Mainsheet was not tensioned while your C34 was "parked".

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

sailr4

I always tension the mainsheet. However I only just took over ownership in September. That shackle sees movement 24/7/365 no matter how tensioned it is. I figure 26 years is a pretty good life.
Rob Fowler,1989 C34 #889 Tall/Wing, M25XP - No Worries, Coronado, CA

I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Les Luzar

This is a good example to always keep your eyes and ears alert for anything and everything on a daily basis. Observe and you shall see... At least you caught this issue before you had a major breakdown while sailing!
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

KWKloeber

Quote from: Stu Jackson on June 29, 2015, 01:31:56 PM
In addition, it appears to be the wrong shackle for the job.  It seems that the halyard wore itself through the metal.

We use this one:

mainsheet or main halyard?

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

Quote from: KWKloeber on June 30, 2015, 03:42:52 PM
Quote from: Stu Jackson on June 29, 2015, 01:31:56 PM

We use this one:

mainsheet or main halyard?

main halyard, bowline

mainsheet is just the blocks on the boom bails
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

KWKloeber

Quote from: Stu Jackson on June 30, 2015, 04:38:42 PM
It seems that the halyard wore itself through the metal.

Stu,

Sorry - I was unclear making my point (as per usual?) - it wasn't his halyard that wore thru the shackle.  The shackle looks to be from the traveler car / sheet blocks, not his main halyard.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

I assume it is attached to his Mainsheet block either where it attaches to the traveler or boom bale. Stu- you use a bowline on Main halyard, I use an eyesplice to a headboard capive-pin shackle. Lots of ways to skin a cat.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Yup, I goofed, sair4 said mainsheet.

We lost the U shackle on our main traveler car to the mainsheet fiddle block a few years ago.  Returned to a local chandlery, bought a Wichard which needed to be bored out to fit the garhauer bolt in the car.  Needed it then, next time I'll get it from Guido.

Noah, yes, I went through that "discussion" with myself.  I tried the bowline and it's lasted 17 years, halyard replaced once during that time.  Fits nicely into the top of that Wichard shackle.  I agree, a captive pin headboard shackle is a must - we all know why, right?   :D