need a vang

Previous topic - Next topic

anaisdog

Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

KWKloeber

becki,

Here is an example of how I said earlier that you can set up your soft vang to control from aft - a cockpit line break or cam cleat - rather than having the cam cleat on the fiddle block at the base of the mast as shown in the manual (the black line next to the pit is the vang control.)

http://i2.ancasta.com/Webfiles/MediaFiles/First%2036.7%20Deck.jpg
On this one there are identical controls (vang, pole downhaul, etc) on each side so you can always stay on the high side.

I did one on a Bene 36.7 just like this one using GhM ball bearing blocks and a cascading system that was I think was 12:1 purchase.)  The downside is that you can't use this dual vang for multi-purpose.

-ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

anaisdog

that looks like the vang on the beneteau i race on but it has the vang line on both sides

KWKloeber

Quote from: anaisdog on August 24, 2014, 06:17:32 PM
that looks like the vang on the beneteau i race on but it has the vang line on both sides

a 36.7?

Yes it has dual controls.  so youre familiar with that vang - you could set up one like that.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

anaisdog

i was just curious how i rerig after I get the vang but I'll call garhauer and ask.  thanks

KWKloeber

Quote from: anaisdog on August 25, 2014, 05:02:55 AM
i was just curious how i rerig after I get the vang but I'll call garhauer and ask.  thanks

Becki,

That's what I answered earlier...  You have two options re the mainsheet  -

Either lose the block at he mast (and I said the benefit) and run it similar to how the MK-II manual shows, or
Leave it the way the MK-I manual shows.

I have mine like the MK-I manual shows with my soft vang (the main just passes by the vang on it;s way to the mast block.)
But there's no reason you cannot do it like the MK-II manual shows (at the angle)!  You have choices.

As far as how the rope vang gets rigged, again, it depends if you want to use it as a preventer and/or an emergency lift.

If so, you can rig it like the MK-I manual shows (just a block and tackle with snap hooks both ends.)  If you don't want those options you could rig it like the Beneteau, which is more convenient to use.  Or rig it with only one line running to the cockpit that can be used with a cabin-top winch.  If you do that (single line) I think that I could devise one so that it could also be used as a preventer/emergency lift.  I would recommend making one out of blocks, etc, and not buying a ready made rope vang.  There's a thread on the C30 now about rope vangs and preventers and I described how I designed mine for dual purpose, and could duplicate the parts for you.  You pay a premium for a ready made rope vang.

Ed R also has pictures on there on how he ran his preventer, which doesn't depend on using his vang -- so you could do that if you want to add a separate preventer system rather than using the soft vang when you need one.  

The bottom line is you need to decide what you want out of the vang and design it that way.  But the mainsheet can be run either way!  

I just recalled that I didn't run mine at the angle, because it would interfere with my hatch behind the mast and I want to be able to fully open that.

-ken

anaisdog

anaisdog

Just to be clear, page 25 shows one way C34's came and page 26, of the manual, shows the other?  I had a bunch of people on board my boat yesterday and we were arguing about the soft vang and how to rig it.

thanks