Mainsail Cover Pricing

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Blumenfeld

Has anyone purchased a mainsail cover from catalinaowners.com?   Their online price is $397 including shipping.  Include cutouts for dutchman, better thread, and shipping. A local canvas maker wants $750.  Catalina Owners quality not good or my local guy just expensive?
Ali'ikai #312
Channel Islands, CA

Ken Juul

I'm local guy is doing one for me, $424.  With lazy Jacks or the dutchman I think custom is the way to go to ensure a good fit.  Might want to shop around to a few different shops.  
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Footloose

If you are handy with a sewing machine, SailRite has a kit for less than $200.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Ron Hill

Paul : You already have the pattern !!

I'd give it a try and make my own. 
Or, Maybe you know a seamstress that might take on the task.  Two layers of Sunbrella is no thicker than a couple of layers of blue jean material.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Gary Brockman

I bought a new mainsail cover from Catalina Direct last year with the up graded thread and cut outs for my lazy jacks that I have been very happy with. If you like how your old cover fits, take the measurements off of it instead of measuring the sail on the boom to guarantee a good fit. They do excellent work for a very good price.

Gary
Squall
1986 Hull #231
Tall Rig/Fin Keel - Elliptical Rudder
M25XPB - Flexofold 2 Blade 15x10
Marina del Rey, California

Phil Spicer

Ron has it right, you have the pattern. If you, someone in your family, or a friend can sew, that's the answer. Just order the sunbrella and parts and make your own. You can add zippers for the Dutchman lines to exit.
   I was at Sailrite Wednesday. Really nice people to work with and. $185 for their sail cover kit is not a bad price. They know there products and are very helpful. Stop and see them at the next boat show you attend...Now back to my machine to finish my bimini.
   Good luck Paul
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Paul Blumenfeld

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I'll see if the admiral will help sew!
Ali'ikai #312
Channel Islands, CA

mregan

I bought one on ebay from these guys.  It fits pretty well and seems decently made.  You could bring it to someone locally and have the dutchman cutouts made or do it yourself. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Catalina-34-Sailboat-Mainsail-Cover-/320469235995?hash=item4a9d74791b&vxp=mtr