4D batteries on a 2002 Mk2

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave DeAre

I just replaced the 4d batteries on my 2002 Mk2 with 2 NAPA #8274, cost $206.10 ea. Over the years I have read the advantages of golf cart batteries, but after measuring the existing 4d battery trays and looking at the wiring currently on the boat, I decided on the 4d, NAPA marine, deep cycle batteries. They were delivered to my local store, were dated May, 2015 and fit perfectly, easy installation.

My old 4d batteries lasted 9 years for my type of sailing and I hope to get the same with the new ones. Not sure anyone has mentioned NAPA as a source for 4d's.

Overdue
2002 34, roller main, tall rig
Burnham Harbor, Chicago

Jim Hardesty

That's the same reasoning and decision I came up with.  The 4D's work fine for the way I use my boat.  Just glad I only have to replace them every 7 years or so.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

KWKloeber

NAPAs are made by either East Penn or Johnson - house brands like DieHard, NAPA, etc tend to switch back and forth every few years (offered a better deal I suppose.)  Anyone looking for new batts might read RC's musings on deep cycle vs. true deep cycle batteries.  The key comparison point being duty cycles, which they never tell you on their batteries or in the sales literature.  Interesting that the NAPA literature boast that they come with "stainless steel wing nuts" -- which are, of course, NOT ABYC approved to use!  D'oh.  :roll:
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

Quote from: KWKloeber on June 14, 2015, 09:41:11 PM
Anyone looking for new batts might read RC's musings on deep cycle vs. true deep cycle batteries. 

Ooops.  Link is:
http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/deep_cycle_battery

D'Oh!
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

mainesail

Quote from: Dave DeAre on June 14, 2015, 12:46:38 PM
I just replaced the 4d batteries on my 2002 Mk2 with 2 NAPA #8274, cost $206.10 ea. Over the years I have read the advantages of golf cart batteries, but after measuring the existing 4d battery trays and looking at the wiring currently on the boat, I decided on the 4d, NAPA marine, deep cycle batteries. They were delivered to my local store, were dated May, 2015 and fit perfectly, easy installation.

My old 4d batteries lasted 9 years for my type of sailing and I hope to get the same with the new ones. Not sure anyone has mentioned NAPA as a source for 4d's.

These batteries can certainly work, especially if dock sailed with only the occasional over night, but they are certainly not deep-cycle batteries. They are perhaps a dual-purpose battery at best..

That NAPA battery is a Deka 904D and Deka does not make any 4D or 8D deep-cycle flooded batteries. This however does not stop companies, who private label them, from misleading customers. West Marine is a bit more honest and they label the exact same battery as a 135Ah "dual-purpose" battery. Please understand that this battery is closer to a starting battery than an actual dual-purpose, so much so that Deka does not even test or publish cycle life data for their 4D or 8D flooded batteries. Deka does not bother testing them because they know they are not designed as a cycling battery.... Kind of grossly misleading to claim a battery is "deep-cycle" when it has never been tested for cycling..... :?

If this was a pharmaceutical company doing this same level of misleading consumers it would be billions of dollars in FDA fines... :thumb:

As long as you understand you've been marketed to, in a misleading way, you're good to go......
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/