Active Captain - Locations App

Previous topic - Next topic

britinusa

Is anyone using the new Active Captain 'Locations' App?

I read the article about it on Active Captain last month and just downloaded the App.

First challenge is to find other AC members with an eboatcard, so do you have one yet?

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Rick Allen

I've been looking into it. Seems like Facebook for boaters??  I do have an account.  They sure do want lots of information....
Rick Allen, C34 IA Commodore
Former owner of "PainKiller", 1988 C34 MKI, Sail#746, std. rig, wing keel.

SPembleton

I have got an eboat card, but have not found anyone else with one.  Not sure what to do with it.
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails."

crieders

Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Stu Jackson

From everything I've read, AC is very active on the Atlantic ICW, perhaps all the way to New Orleans and maybe Texas.   Not so much elsewhere, certainly not in the SF Bay Area.   Their newsletters, available if you join AC even without an eboatcard, is pretty good material for designing your on-board wifi system, etc.  Some people like to know where their friends are all the time, others not so much.  Your boat, your computer, your choice, your life.   :clap
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Roc

AC has a lot of new applications that work off the eboatcard.  So some of the new stuff they have force you to create one.  I haven't filled one out yet, but I guess you don't have to fill out every field.  There's a lot of information for the Chesapeake on the AC site.  I use it to get the latest hazard information and reviews for marinas, restaurants, anchorages, etc.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

britinusa

I think their new Locations App will add to the social life of boating. As Stu pointed out, most of the activity seems to on the East Coast, but I expect it will grow simply because of the new App.

Not sure knowing where your buddies are is that useful, unless you are looking for them. It probably has a vicarious value when we don't have anything better to do.... perhaps it's aimed at power boaters, cus we never seem to have that issue, there's always something better to do unless we are already sailing!

8)

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP