Chartplotter opinions?

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike McDonald

I would like to purchase a new chartplotter for my boat.  I have a very old Garmin that I was never able to get local charts for.  (old style memory card)  I would like to keep the price under $1,000, and would like a 7" screen.  There are many new plotters from Lowrance, Garmin and others that look good, but I have little experience with them.  Many of the new plotters are combination Chartplotters/Fishfinders.  I don't fish, so that is not important to me, however, many just seem to be combination units. Mapping options also vary, and keeping maps updated is always an issue.  At this point, I only sail on Lake Ontario. 
I would be very interested in hearing from any of you who may have upgraded recently, and what your experience has been.  Models keep changing and recent comparisons seem to be few and far between.  Thanks.
Mike.....
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

Roc

I'm also interested in what opinions are out there.  I've always liked Garmin, because from what I understand, their units are the most intuitive to use.  However, I've seen this from B&G which looks very interesting.  I also notice the mega-yachts I see have B&G instruments on-board.  Not familiar with B&G, but they would be on my list to look into....

http://www.bandg.com/en-US/Product-Groups/Zeus2/

Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Andrew Harvey

I purchased a Standard Horizon  2 years ago to replace an older Garmin that was having trouble locking in a position.
Personally I much preferred the Garmin. Much more intuitive and better display.

Andrew
Andrew Harvey

kwaltersmi

Quote from: Roc on June 09, 2015, 04:13:14 AMHowever, I've seen this from B&G which looks very interesting.  I also notice the mega-yachts I see have B&G instruments on-board.  Not familiar with B&G, but they would be on my list to look into....

I've never used anything from B&G, but the brand is owned by the same parent company (Navico) as Lowrance and Simrad.  I think some of the Simrad and B&G plotters are the same or very similar.  

For what it's worth, it seems like most manufacturers are now using products from Garmin, Raymarine and B&G as OEM.
'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree

Roc

Garmin and B&G may be worth considering.  However, I remember this reply from Mainesail.....

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,8183.msg57387.html#msg57387

Stu Jackson

Good find, Roc.

Mike, except for finds like Roc's, and Maine Sail's post, asking your question is like asking a limited audience "What car should I buy?"  The answers can be endless, from VW Bugs to GMC Yukons.

One suggestion is to widen your audience.  While our C34 brethren have loads of experience, there are resources out there that will offer you a wider range of possible inputs.

Here's an example that I remembered from just last week:

http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?p=1215859&highlight=irwin

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/electronics-refit-on-irwin-43-a-147262.html

Same question from the same skipper.

One consistent theme I see all the time is that unless you go and try out the equipment, it is hard to tell from the users manuals how easy any given product may be to actually use.  

For example, my friend Dave had an older Garmin hh 72.  It was the early b&w one with rudimentary charts, which should be great, right?  It was a nightmare to use.  The programmer was on drugs or didn't understand boating, because you had to go through three menus, each and every time, to go to a waypoint!!! :cry4`  We both hated that thing.  Fast forward a few years and I got a Garmin GPSMap 76Cx.  Easy to use, intuitive, and I've never had to get the manual out to do anything with it.  An extremely good design.

Each manufacturer has their own way of doing things and what might work easily for me may seem bassackwards for you.

So, try them out at a West Marine close you to avoid buying an electronic brick.

Good luck, happy hunting.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Dave Spencer

Like Andrew, I have a Standard Horizon.  I selected the 7" CP 300i several years ago at the Toronto Boat Show and it has served me well.  However, like Andrew (and Stu), I find my handheld Garmin 76 to be more intuitive to use and if I was going to replace my Standard Horizon, I would give Garmin chartplotters a good look.  I find that I have to retrain myself on how to do what should be relatively simple things on my CP-300i.  I've also used Raymarine, most recently on a fall charter in the US Virgins and BVIs and found it to be easy to use with a decent refresh rate when zooming or changing screens.  However, it had a few knobs falling off - perhaps a result of charter service or the tough southern sun.
I recommend at looking at mounting options, the cost / reputation of chart chips and any extras (cables, NMEA 0183 and NMEA 2000 compatibility) that you might need to make the chartplotter that you select at home on your boat.

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Mike McDonald

Thanks for the input everyone. I realize the options are endless and everyone's needs are different.  I went to West Marine yesterday and talked to the sales guy about a couple of Garmin and Lowrance units.  I'm mainly looking for anyone who has had particularly good or bad experiences, just as another source of information.  Looking at functionality seems to be easier than comparing the chart and chart update process and cost.  Lots of options.  I'll take a look at the links forwarded by Stu as well.  Thanks again for the info, and the ongoing support from this forum.  It's always helpful.
Mike.....
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

Scott Hibbs

Mike, one other option to consider.  I opted to use my iPad with the iNavX app.  Link to my iPad is with a Bad Elf Bluetooth GPS.  GPS was around $200, iNavX is around $50.  Charts are an additional cost, but very reasonable...generally in the $50 range, which would cover an entire area like the Great Lakes, Virgin Islands, etc..  Charts are NOAA marine raster and typically "tiled," which provides seamless coverage over the region along with the added benefit of looking the same as your paper charts. Significantly easier to use than most chart plotters, with excellent graphics and navigation tools.  Portability is the biggest advantage - I can take my iPad and GPS with me on other boats or charters.  Also a time saver when on another boat...no learning curve typically associated with an unfamiliar chart plotter!  Glad to provide additional insight on the mount and other accessories I use if interested, just drop me an email. All-in, I'm under $500 (iPad cost not considered!).
Scott Hibbs
"Escape Hatch"
2004 MK II, #1679, M-35B
Northport, MI

SPembleton

Quote from: Roc on June 09, 2015, 08:47:28 AM
Garmin and B&G may be worth considering.  However, I remember this reply from Mainesail.....

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,8183.msg57387.html#msg57387

i was the one asking the question referenced above.  I went ahead and bought the Gramin 741xs, and am very happy with it.  In addition to doing everything thatni wanted, the Garmin tech support has been incredible.  I call, they answer the phone, they answer my questions. These days that is amazing!

I also do not fish, but i installed a low end chirp depth transducer.  This gives me more of a picture of the bottom as opposed to just a number.

i did replace my 1" binnacle guard with the larger one from Edson.  It is suprising how much sturdier it feels.  A local electronics company imstalled and welded a bracket on it to mount the chartplotter.  I also installed a wireless wind transducer.

one last thing.  The pre-Christmas price at WM was about $400 below list.  I got mine for about $750, i think.

if you have a specific question, feel free to pm me.  We can also talk over phone if that is easier.

All in all i feel i made the right decision for me.
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails."

Solstice

Mike,
As you see, lots of good choices. Another thing to consider is whether you want to integrate your other electronics and is Wifi important to you. Although it is possible to integrate instruments from other vendors, it is not that straightforward. I have used Garmin, B&G and RM and just replaced my 4 year old RM with a new one because Wifi is important to me and I have a full complement of RM systems. For me, wifi allows me to remotely plan routes, download updates and use my ipad as a true repeater down below. Here are my two cents:
--All things being equal, I still think the Garmin is most intuitive
--B&G has some impressive options for sailors, primarily racers
--RM has come a long way in terms of support and intuitiveness, especially since Flir bought them. There Tech forum is a wealth of information and I have also used their phone support recently--answered with a few rings. No more 45 minute waits. The other thing to consider is that they offer free vector and raster charts now along with their free lighthouse charts.
So, all things being equal, if I were to choose a stand alone CP, it would be Garmin. If I was building an entire system from scratch, I would seriously consider B&G, and with an all RM system, the RM is a good choice. Do consider wifi functionality (they all offer it) if not for now, for future use...Good luck and happy shopping.

kurt

Do you own an iPad?  If so, you can consider iNavx application on the iPad a "back up."   Just keep it in the boat unless you get a nice waterproof cover.  You could then pick up something used for primary use/marine grade purposes.  

Interestingly, on my C34 I have a Garmin primary of previous design and on my friend's boat he has a new Raymarine.   When sailing on my or his boat, we always use the iPad because it is so easy/intuitive to use...  

Agree that integration is another topic/key issue per the previous post.

Kurt

SPembleton

Quote from: kurt on June 10, 2015, 04:31:13 PM
Do you own an iPad?  If so, you can consider iNavx application on the iPad a "back up.

I tried using my Samsung tablet, but it was hard to read in the sun, even with a top-of-the-line glare screen.  I know a lot of people use ipads.  Maybe they are different, but check it out before buying maps etc for your tablet, or just plan on using it below deck.
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails."

Roc

Steve,
A picture of your new pedestal guard and chartplotter installation would be nice!  A chartplotter is next on my list and I'm gathering information on how others have mounted them at the helm.

britinusa

Steve, on our new C34 (1987) the PO purchased the Garmin 742XP package for less than $2,000 The Radar unit integrates really well with the Chart Plotter.

As others have said, it's nice having instruments of similar brands. So we too are looking to get a new Wind Instrument & Transducer. The wireless options are out of our budget right now (need to sell our C250 Water Ballast) so we're looking a the Garmin Wind options.

The Garmin Radar interface is really nice.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP