Opening Aft Cabin Ports in Cockpit

Previous topic - Next topic

stevewitt1

Here we go everyone; remedial question #688 from Steve;

About the only leak (rain induced) I seem to have is the forward opening port that opens to the cockpit from the aft cabin.  It's not terrible, but I sleep on that side and feel the Captain should have a dry berth.

Question:  Has anyone taken these opening ports out to re-bed them?  If so are the vulnerable to breaking?  Are there any tricks involved?  They only appear to have screws on the inside so I"m assuming they screw to the outer frame part. I would really like to re-bed verses replace.  These are the only opening ports on my boat that have reliable screens that really work!

Another question:  Has anyone installed an opening port on the hull in the aft cabin?  Newer boats seem to have them there.  Would it require adding core material between the outer hull and the liner?

Any suggestions and help to the boating impaired (your's  truly)

Steve

visit us at www.ocontoyachtclub.com  and  www.warbirdsix.com

Stu Jackson

Steve,

If they are Becksons (you didn't say), then check the tech wiki, which has a whole section onf portlights:

http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Port_Lights_%26_Hatches

with links back to many discussions here on the forum, including pictures.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

stevewitt1

Thanks Stu   I did a search via Google and then in the forum but as I said my search skills are remedial.

Typing now from my iPad bluetooth keyboard, feel like the first day with new fingers

Steve

Ken Juul

I've had to rebed mine.  Not too hard.  IIRC I needed a skinny flexible putty knife to break loose the caulk that was still good.  Inside just pulls off, outside is bedded, you may be able to just push it out.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ed Shankle

Check the gasket first, that could be the culprit
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

patrice

Quote from: Ed Shankle on June 08, 2015, 11:19:18 AM
Check the gasket first, that could be the culprit

Hi  Good point,

The gasket holding the screen in place, when not properly inserted cause a small leak on mine too.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

stevewitt1

Mine appears to be leaking from under the frame.  doesn't seem like gasket would have access to that area.  Don't want to sound lazy but if the outside trim ring covers the gap between the fixture and the opening wouldn't it be just necessary to remove the trim ring, check and add adequate caulking, then replace the trim ring?

Steve

Stu Jackson

Lazy?  Never, but all you have to do is read the wiki link.

Short Answer:  No, 'cuz that's not how they're built.  The trim ring is, essentially, just a visual trim, no sealing involved with it.

Read the wiki, which links to pictures of how it's built and installed.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."