The dreaded fuel leak

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Quote from: kwaltersmi on June 07, 2015, 05:41:45 PMI've never had to bleed my engine for fuel filter changes etc. since my M25XPB is self-priming just like the M35. Do you think I'll need to do a full bleed of the injectors, etc.? Any other re-starting advice?

No, you won't.  Don't sweat it. 

Nice detective work.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

Sorry about the fuel tank, but take solace in the fact that you probably have the cleanest, skinniest looking engine in the fleet!! How did you do that?!
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

kwaltersmi

After talking to Catalina and Ezell Manufacturing (tank manufacturer), neither has the tank (part #20791) in stock. They said it will take ~4 weeks to build/deliver.  Ugh! 

Other alternatives?

I might check around with local metal fabrication companies and see if I can have one built locally.  Or maybe I could temporarily patch the old one and re-use it until the new one comes in?  Or some other temporary tank set-up? Or another source for the part #20791? 

Any ideas?
'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree

Roc

Do a search for local fuel tank fabricators.  You might even be able to see if slightly enlarging the dimensions may still fit and give you a few extra gallons capacity.  I've compared the cost between getting a metal tank directly from Catalina vs. going to a local fabricator and the price was the same.  Get the drawing for the current tank, this way you can get a quote locally.  From there, you can see if making it slightly bigger will work....
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Clay Greene

It may well be a different path to the same destination but Catalina Direct also sells a fuel tank for the C34.  It might be worth a call to them to see if they can get it to you more quickly. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

kwaltersmi

Quote from: claygr on June 08, 2015, 12:03:47 PM
It may well be a different path to the same destination but Catalina Direct also sells a fuel tank for the C34.  It might be worth a call to them to see if they can get it to you more quickly. 

Yup, you're right. I called CD and they told me 6-8 weeks. They use the same sources as Catalina Yachts. 

Thanks for the suggestions!
'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree

Footloose

How about having someone weld up the hole until you can get a new tank?  I know it mean doing the install twice, but the sailing season is short up here.  It could even make it until the end of the season and you could do it on the hard.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

2ndwish

QuoteSorry about the fuel tank, but take solace in the fact that you probably have the cleanest, skinniest looking engine in the fleet!! How did you do that?!
The 1987s has an M25 XP, that thar is a repower. Still the shiniest engine I've ever seen. Not sure about skinny.

And I'd also suggest a local fabricator, but if you do, make sure they pressure test it. My former boat partner found out the hard way.

Noah

Yes "Shiny"! Damn auto correct! BTW- Didn't your mudder teach you not to pick on an old blind man who's hunt and pecking on a tiny iPhone.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

kwaltersmi

Yes, she was repowered with the XPB in 2012 and currently has ~150 hours.  So I can't take all the credit for the shine.

I ended up ordering through Ezell Industries (Catalina's supplier) for $482. They told me there is a 2-3 week lead time, which I think is about as good as I can do at this point.  Catalina quoted me $515 for the same tank from Ezell. Catalina Direct's price is $562. No one has them in stock.  All come with all the fittings (sending unit, pick-up, etc.).  Ezell also agreed to move the grounding tab back toward the rear of the tank where it is on my current tank instead of at the forward end on the newer schematics from Catalina.

In the meantime, I'm planning to clean out my current tank with acetone per Ron's Wiki article and then patch the leak from the outside with metal epoxy and hopefully re-install this weekend so I can take full advantage of the short Great Lakes sailing season.
'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree

pablosgirl

Hi

Ran into the same delivery issue that you are having and we chose to go with a local fabricator when we had a leak in our tank.  Turnaround time was 1 week.  Just gave him the old tank and he made an exact copy.  Everything lined up exactly even the screw holes on the forward mounting bracket.  He even replaced the fuel gage sending unit noticing that the PO had replaced the unit with one that was two short so the tank read empty when it was actually still half full.  Also took the opportunity to replace the fuel line and the fuel return line from the injectors.  I have a friend who used the 6 gal. poly outboard gas cans as a temporary solution while he replaced his fuel tank.  Just need to secure the temporary tank to the shelf with a tie downside so it won't slide around under sail.

Paul
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP

kwaltersmi

Quote from: pablosgirl on June 09, 2015, 11:54:06 AMI have a friend who used the 6 gal. poly outboard gas cans as a temporary solution while he replaced his fuel tank.  Just need to secure the temporary tank to the shelf with a tie downside so it won't slide around under sail.

I've thought about using one of those tanks as a temporary way to get on the water.  What about venting the tank?  Those 6 gallon poly tanks are intended for on-deck use and have a cap vent instead of a vent hose to the transom.  Do you know if your friend installed a vent hose or just used the cap vent? 
'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree

Stu Jackson

IIRC, they make inboard DIESEL fuel tanks that are/should be supplied with vent connections, too.  I would select a diesel tank over a gas tank.

http://www.westmarine.com/permanent-fuel-tanks

The other tanks are rated as "above deck tanks" with the built in vent caps.

Good idea.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

kwaltersmi

Aside from venting, another issue would be the fuel return line, which I don't believe is include on the portable, topside tanks.
'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree

pablosgirl

He had to add a metal tube for the return line.  Used that grey epoxy that you see on the auto parts store counter that has a piece of wood, a piece of metal, and a piece of plastic all stuck to a Coke bottle.  I cannot remember the name of the product.  He would open the vent screw before starting the engine and close it after shutting down the engine.  It was strapped down in the same place as the original tank which was under the aft quarter berth.  This was a temporary setup just to get us out to the race course and to meet the requirement of a running engine until a new tank could be fabricated. 
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP