Steering System - Replace Chain and Cable?

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon W

I've completed some major upgrades, and am now in phase 2 of repairs and upgrades on my new to me 1987 C34. I've checked and found that I have the brass idler pulley pins still in the steering system. Today I called Edson about ordering the SST idler pulley pins, and he mentioned that it is recommended to replace the chain and cable if it is more than 10 years old. I have no idea how old the current set up is, but would not be surprised if it is the original. In the Tech Wiki I saw the Edson Maintenance pdf, but haven't found any Message Board threads on replacing the chain, cable, and eyebolt adjusters for the cable. Is this something you all have done as a Maintenance item, or is Edson upselling me? Thanks for the help.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Stu Jackson

Jon, absent an answer, I would suggest you treat this as any other maintenance item.  Most of us agree that the idler pulleys are a "must do" kinda thing.   The others remain a personal choice based on the condition of the chains and wire.  I would inspect them and see.  Many POs dealt with out-of-sight-out-of-mind things by neglect, others served them, as discussed in the very good maintenance material on the Edson website.  Your boat, your choice.   :D  Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jon W

I've ordered the SST idler pulley pins to replace the original brass pins. I'm going to wait on the chain and wire until I can have a better look at its condition.   Jon W.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Dave Spencer

Jon,
Replacement of the chain and cable every 10 years sounds like upsell to me.  Since there isn't a lot of talk about the steering cable and chain assembly on the forum, it doesn't sound like something where C34 owners have had trouble or replaced the cable and chain assembly.  I've had the rear wall in the aft cabin off several times over the last few years to work on other projects and each time, I inspect the cables just like I would inspect standing rigging or running wire rigging.  I look for any "meathooks" on the cable using a soft cloth and would replace the cable if any are evident.  I visually examine the saddle clamps to see if there is any slippage visible.  (I haven't checked the torque on the saddle clamps.)  I've also had the binnacle compass off a few times and I take that opportunity to inspect the chain and sprocket.  Other than that, I would simply follow the Edson Lube / maintenance instructions and not worry about it.
This has been my experience on my boat.  YMMV.

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Ron Hill

Jon W : I'd inspect the unit and use common sense. 

I would change to the stainless idler pins.

Ron, Apache #788

Jon W

Hi Ron, I changed to the SST idler pins yesterday.

Other things I've done since taking ownership of my 1987 MK 1 boat mid-April:
1. had the exhaust riser redone.
2. transmission fluid changed. PO had done the engine oil just before I purchased from him.
3. removed lots of extra fittings on the raw water pump to just what was needed.
4. verified the traveler through bolt upgrade has been done (I have 4 showing inside the cabin).
5. verified the alternator bracket upgrade has been done.
6. checked the hot water hoses from the engine under the galley floor. All appear relatively new.
7. replaced all thru hulls and ball valves with new Marelon flanged seacocks attached to marine grade backing plates epoxied to hull.
8. replaced all above waterline thru hulls due to UV damage on many of existing
9. replaced pedro hose
10. When extracting the prop to change the pedro hose, found the original shaft had past damage and repair with epoxy! Amazing.
11. Because of that got a new SST prop shaft.
12. then found the aluminum emergency tiller cap was broken. replaced with new SST one.
13. why stop now, so replaced cutlass bearing, and drivetrain re-aligned to spec.
14. cleaned packing gland to like new and repacked with Goretex(?) recommended on this site. Brilliant stuff, drips only when running.
15. replaced seizing wire on the starboard spreader.
16. removed AC wiring that was passing through the battery box. Yup, AC wires in the battery box. Both nicely discolored.
17. sailing in San Diego Bay. A great sailing boat.

Up next:
1. engine harness with Kit A arrived yesterday.
2. replace all water system supply and drain hoses. Many are yellow and sticky, probably original.
3. check if fuel filter is or isn't in the fuel tank.
4. ordered new gooseneck to upgrade, but still not received from CAT Direct.
5. re-bed stantions and chainplates. Bed-It butyl tape arrived yesterday.
6. more sailing.

The reason I listed all the above, is because if it wasn't for you, Stu, Mainsail, and others on this great site, I wouldn't have known what to look for when buying, nor what to plan for after purchase. Thanks to all for the advice, highlighting key items, and the overwhelming number of searchable write-ups of how to's and how not to's. I'll keep reading. Hopefully someday I can contribute to repay for what I've been getting.  Jon W.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca