Water leak in hull skeg depression forward of rudder post. Solutions?

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc G

My 1987 34, hull 362, has been collecting small amounts of water inside the hull pocket above the skeg, forward of the rudder post/ aft of the shaft strut. It then spills over and runs into the bilge. In my search for a source, after thoroughly drying the depression and waiting overnight, water had entered the depression again. No rain or water source outside above waterline, and the water is salty. 
I have just read several post in the forum that indicate this is not an uncommon leak, but none related one common entry point. It seems there may be cracks or weepage at several locations.
I would like to avoid a haul till next season, and was wondering if anyone had successfully stopped or mitigated the leakage by filling the in-hull depression in front of the rudder post and aft of the strut bolts with an epoxy, foam or other sealing agent?

It is a slow leak and fully manageable, though disconcerting. Im sure it has been present during the 2+ years of my ownership and likely with the previous owner.

I would appreciate your thoughts, ideas / suggestions for a filler.

Regards to all,
Marc

Roc

Marc,
I'm not familiar with the layout of your boat (I have a MkII), but I will say you shouldn't seal a leak from the inside.  Doing that doesn't stop it, and water will still be leaking into the fiberglass, but you just won't see it coming in.  I think it's probably better to let the water go somewhere (i.e. in the boat) until you can get hauled to fix it properly.  Stopping the water just forces it to migrate into the hull itself.  That will create a bigger problem.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Joe Holmes

I get water accumulating there on my Mk1 from a leak around the emergency tiller post in the cockpit.  Cannot remove the tiller head bolt and casting without cutting it so I have lived with it until now.  There are some posts on this if you search.
Joe Holmes
1988 Mk 1 Tall Rig, Hull 758
Rothesay NB Canada

Marc G

Last Fall I removed rudder, polished post and cleaned the tube. Reinstalled with mylar shims to remove excess play in the rudder and installed new rudder post packing.  I checked it for leaks at rst and at wide open throttle ( prop wash would push water up post) and found no leakage from the post gland.  Stears like power steering now!

I read some older posts and saw where some had filled the skeg depression with foam and/or marine epoxy. I was hoping to hear back on the outcome of those repairs and what was used.

I agree that the skeg will be examined and repaired at next haul but was curious about past experience.
Marc

cmainprize

Hi Marc, I had noticed the fairing around my prop strut required some repair every year.  this year I sandblasted the are and this is what I found.  I am not sure if it was leaking but I normally had some water in the indents around the strut.  I have a Mk11 and they leak water around the rear lockers every time it rains so it common to have water there. 

When I realized how crappy this area was I ground the crack/seam back even further and re-glassed the area starting with with a 1, then 3, then 6 then 9, then 12 inch layer of glass.  Faired smooth and repainted.  I will know better when the boat comes out next to see how it stands up.
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

Steve McGill

I only have a small amounts of water in this area when rains and the wind blow certain ways. I assume it is from my aft locker or the engine vents, but drawing chalk lines has never been conclusive for me. I also get water in this area when I have been on the hard for my annual 3 month haul out.

The cracks may be the fairing compound used after the strut has been bolted and glassed down.
The picture is from the Catalina 36 factory tour
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

Marc G

I have not noticed anything unusual around my strut area externally, and I sanded hull down to barrier coat last fall.  I will however be certain to go further next haul.  I have not seen any signs of leakage from near the strut bolts internally. Water does magically appear in the skeg depression after 12 hours however, a small amount but consistent. Maybe I should try asking Catalina if they have a recall on this (:-) (kidding), but ask if there is a known issue, and where it commonly occurs/exists.

TX
Marc