Mounting Garhauer outboard davit on stern

Previous topic - Next topic

hwd

I am planning to mount a Garhauer outboard motor lifting davit on the stern of my 2004 C34 mkII.  Before I start drilling holes, however, I was wondering if anyone has experience with a similar project on their own boat.  It would be useful for me to know if the transom is solid or cored, what size and type of fasteners I could use, and whether or not a backing plate is necessary. 

Craig Illman

on my 1991, hull 1150, the transom was solid, not real thick. I think fender washers would be adequate with 1/4-20 fasteners. I had a triangular block of delrin? attached that I put the Garhauer base ball mount on. Sorry, I don't have a picture. Hope this isn't more confusing.

Craig

Stu Jackson

hwd,

There have been a number of posts on this.  I just did a search using "Garhauer davit" and turned up at least a half dozen.  Since this software doesn't enable me to copy the search results URL, please do so yourself and find what you need.

IIRC, there were some good answers to your questions.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jim Hardesty

hwd,
The PO mounted a Garhauer outboard crane, said he got the idea from this site but I couldn't find it.  He drilled a hole through the stern seat and mounted the ball socket beneath.  Works well.   I'll try to get some pictures up tomorrow.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

hwd

Thanks everyone...great comments, I appreciate the help

Jim Hardesty

Here are some pictures.  Note I added a cleat to the load block.  Now I can control the load and the lift alone.

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Andrew Harvey

Andrew Harvey

Stu Jackson

Yes, Andrew, we have.  Do you have any specific questions?  The ring is mounted just forward of the curve in the top pushpit rail and the bottom "ball" is at the aft end of the coaming.  I don't have any pictures, but can get some later today.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Here's one that I found on my mounting on a MK 1
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Stu Jackson

Photos of ours.  It's offset so that when the lift swings it's above the motor mount on the rail.

DarthOccam

Quote from: hwd on May 27, 2015, 11:23:58 AM
I am planning to mount a Garhauer outboard motor lifting davit on the stern of my 2004 C34 mkII.  Before I start drilling holes, however, I was wondering if anyone has experience with a similar project on their own boat.  It would be useful for me to know if the transom is solid or cored, what size and type of fasteners I could use, and whether or not a backing plate is necessary.  

Hwd,

I mounted one on our 2005 mkII (see picture below).  The location is a little non-standard, in that the vertical shaft is angled a bit aft rather than being straight up and down, which is what most people do.  I did this because it better located the head of the lift over the outboard plate on the rail and the stern of my dingy.  This probably puts a little more stress on the rail, but the rail doesn't seem to budge when I swing the outboard.  I have a light outboard at 6HP.  YMMV, experiment with the lift in various locations before you decide what works best for you.

For the mounting ball at the bottom, I used the Garhauer LBM-1, which comes with a stainless backing plate and is drilled for 4 bolts (not included, but you can use the holes to size the bolts).  I used a starboard section under the mount that I angled and ground down to make the ball mount more level and better match the curve of the hull.  That part of the hull is solid and was easy to drill. Don't forget the sealant.  Of course, laying in the lazarette to get a wrench on the bolts is a lot of fun (do you have a teenager?).  

I really like the Garhauer lift--although it's not the most stylish one out there, it works great.  One other bit of advice:  the pole is in two pieces.  When removing the lift, make sure you keep one hand on the lower section.  As you slide the lift up to pull it from the collar, it's easy for the lower section to come loose and fall.

Good luck.

Michael

[attach=#]
Michael DeCamp
Serenity, #1703
Channel Islands Harbor, CA

hwd

Michael,
Thanks for the great information

Andrew Harvey

Stu and Mike,

There are 2 sizes of arm length from Garhauer. Which do you have ?

Andrew
Andrew Harvey

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Mine was the longer one and after I added a Garhauer radar post, which also came with a lift, I used them both together as davits for my dinghy. It worked out pretty well.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Stu Jackson

Andrew, mine's an LD6-1, purchased in 2000.  It was before they made the two sizes, so I'd guess it's the shorter one.  What you should check is how each would work for your particular arrangement, only you can tell where you're going to place it and where your engine will be mounted on the pushpit, since there are different places to put the mast of the lift.

Mike's reminded me of his great idea, which he first posted about years ago.  Two dingy lifts make a great davit! :clap