Bilge pump issue

Previous topic - Next topic

chuck53

OK, I have the standard Rule 2500 that I think most of our boats have.  I have an intermittant problem with it as well as the old one that I recently replaced.
I've never used my pump in an emergency situation, but when I clean out my bilge or have to pump out rain water, AC condensate, etc. the pump turnes on but doesn't pump.  I'm thinking my check valve is stuck and turning on and off the pump a couple of times unsticks it and makes it work.  Obviously, this is not a good situation.
My question....check valve or no check valve.  If I should have one, I'll replace with new.
Before anyone asks, my bilge stays clean and there is no trash fouling up the works.  I'm 99% sure the check valve is my problem.

Stu Jackson

You're now a poster boy for why we suggest that check valves are a bad idea.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

chuck53

That's what I was thinking but just wanted another opinion.

Ron Hill

Chuck : While you're removing that check valve, you might think about upping your bilge pump to a 5000!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

SPembleton

I just had a similar issue a few weeks ago.  Turned out the intake screen on the bottom was totally plugged. Sometining to just look at before doing something more intensive
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails."

chuck53

Well, I just replaced my bilge pump 2 years ago, thinking I had a problem, which I am now pretty sure is the check valve causing my problem.  As far as the intake, my bilge is pretty clean and I know the issue is not trash in the intake.

SPembleton

:abd:Just a followup. My bilge was also very clean. Everything except the strainer.  10 seconds to check before.replacing the check valve.
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails."

Lance Jones

I too have wasted money on a new pump when the strainer was the issue. Even clean bilges aren't TOTALLY clean.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622