Water in Hull, forward and aft of rudder stock

Previous topic - Next topic

Saribbean

Hello Everyone,

After this years launch I noticed some water forward and aft of the rudder stock/shaft in the lower indents on of the hull.   Right where the rudder skeg is.  I see that some others have had similar issues, but im still unsure what to do... Last year I found a crack along the skeg, on the outside of the hull just forward of the rudder.  I put some west systems epoxy along the crack.  I can see a drip build up approx. every 45 secs. just on the very aft part of the skeg where it joins the rudder stock/shaft.  I believe the water is coming from somewhere higher and the drip builds and final drips at that location. Also water pools rear of the rudder shaft in the indentation.  I know the water is not coming from the rudder packing gland, I have already tightened those bolts.  Very hard to tell the exact location of the leak because of the access. Water tank in the way.

Any recommendations?  Whats the fix?  Do I put the boat on the hard and deal with it right away? Or is this something that could wait till the fall?

Thanks

Gary Brockman

When I bought my boat in 2008 I found two leaks under the the aft berth: the first being a void if the filler around the strut; and the second from water leaking into the skeg from a small crack at the aft joint from where the skeg meets the hull right before the rudder post. When the yard drilled into the skeg close to a gallon of water came out. The boat had to be hauled out to repair both leaks and the rudder had to be dropped to fix the skeg leak.

Gary
Squall
1986 Hull #231
Tall Rig/Fin Keel - Elliptical Rudder
M25XPB - Flexofold 2 Blade 15x10
Marina del Rey, California

Saribbean

Gary, thanks for your response.  Can anyone confirm that the hull below the waterline line is a solid Fibre glass? 
I believe i have read that somewhere. If it has a wood core im going , to haul the boat and deal with the issue right away.  If not ill wait till fall to haul out and start grinding.

Thanks

Ron Hill

Sar : The C34 hull is solid fiberglass!!  There is NO wood involved in the hull, but the cabin top and walk way is a laminate of fiberglass and plywood.

If you look at your C34 I believe that you will find that the rudder packing gland is above the water line when the boat is stationary!!  That gland is only underwater when the vessel is motoring!!

You might want to taste the water and see if it's brackish.  If the water is fresh I believe that you might have a leak in the aft water tank.  Check the vent hose and the fill & exit hose connections.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Clay Greene

We always got a little bit of water in that indentation and my conclusion was that it was coming from the rudder packing gland.  We eventually replaced the flax packing material and tightened down the gland - the leak went away.  You might check the tightness of the packing gland bolts - looseness there would be highly suggestive.

One option would be to dry up the water and then use bright-colored sidewalk chalk to draw around the area.  Take the boat out and put her through her paces both under power and under sail. Look in that area to see if you have water and what direction it is coming from. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Ralph Masters

The first time I used the carpenter's chalk thing to look for a leak the chief looked at me like I had two heads.  This was on a 1960 vintage destoryer.  But after I showed him the results he thought it was the best thing since sliced bread.

It really works.
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Saribbean

Hey Gents,

Thanks for the help.  I really like the caulk idea!! Going to do that forsure.  Ive tightened down the packing gland bolts. Ill try buying a new gland and start with that.  There is a crack on the exterior of the hull where the skeg is.  Probably 5 inches forward of the rudder its self.  Sealed it before the boat splashed with epoxy but did a quick job with it. 
After talking to all of you, and some local surveryors, a boat builder.  The leak is very minor so I think im going to wait till the fall, haul out and do a proper job on the crack skeg.  If there was any wood in the haul i would be taking it out right away.  Thanks for confirming, its solid fibreglass Ron. Ill post next spring and let you know if that did the trick. 

Thanks!