Repairing pvc dinghy

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobg

I have a small 1/4" cut on the air floor of my inflatable, I see 5200 mentioned in a couple places on the internet, any of you ever had luck with 5200 for a glue to repair this? I have googled a lot but the best repairs are 2 part and expensive with a short shelf life.  just looking for alternatives.  Thanks Bob
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Ron Hill

Bob : The first thing you need to determine is - is your dink made of PVC (for sure?) or Hypalon material?!?

Then go to West Marine or Defender and get the appropriate glue/patch and follow the instructions TO the Letter!!

Also cross your fingers, say a few prayers and carry a rabbits foot or two!!  

When all else fails, take it to a company that repairs inflatables or just purchase a new one!!

Good Luck  - My thoughts on patching an inflatable.  
Ron, Apache #788

Sue Clancy

The stuff at West Marine works well but can be expensive. I have had good luck using HH-66 which is cheaper especially if you need a lot. We redid the whole bottom of our old dinghy with it. It is critical to follow the instructions though including cleaning off any old glue and dirt with MEK. Patches are not that expensive but make sure they are much larger than your hole.

I purchased a large can from sailrite but they have all different sizes. http://www.sailrite.com/HH-66-Vinyl-Cement-4oz
Sue and Brian Clancy
Former owners - 1987 C34 Mk I #272
Home Port - Westbrook, CT