Garhauer Outboard Hoist

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Jenks

I am considering adding a Garhauer Outboard Hoist to my C34 Mark II.  Has anybody installed one on their Mark II?  Where did you put it?  How does the base attach to the boat?

Thanks
Bill Jenks
Treasurer C34IA
Unzipped  Catalina 34 #1484
BOB San Juan 21 #19
Tacoma WA

Stu Jackson

Bill

Buy it.  It's the best priced, most sturdy, useful and good looking one of its kind.

While I don't have a Mark II, there's no reason you can't find a place near the stern quarter to mount the "ring" on the pulpit that holds the pole.  The base on ours is on the coaming, not on the deck like in the picture of the C30 in the Garhauer catalog.

The great thing about this lift is that the way the blocks are set up, you can reeve the line down from the inboard turning block before it hits the cam cleat and you can actually sit in your dinghy and slowly lower your outboard into your dinghy singlehanded! The 6:1 purchase makes it easy for anyone to hoist or lower.

I'd guess that if you placed the unit on either side of your perch seat you'd make it without any problem.

The base of the pole does not actually attach to the deck.  Rather, there is a round fitting, with a flat plate on the bottom with a small baseball sized piece of black rubberlike material that mounts permantently on the deck.  The empty bottom of the pole hoist slips onto that, supported higher up by the permantly mounted ring on the pulpit handrail.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Bill Jenks

Regarding the fitting that attaches to the deck that the pole sits on - does that fitting need to be on a flat and leval surface?  The stern of the Mark II slopes down to the swim step.  It does not have a leval spot under the stern rail.  Would I need to make a teak or starboard wedge to mount between the deck the the fitting to make it sit leval?
Bill Jenks
Treasurer C34IA
BOB San Juan 21 #19
Tacoma WA

Stu Jackson

Bill, why not call Bill or Guido at Garhauer?  They should be able to answer your question.  They're in Oakland now at the boat show, but should be back later in the week.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

sail4dale

I finally relocated my outboard mount to the starboard side of the pulpit and the "ball" mounts just clearing the cleat fwd of the pulpit seat.  I found that the mount on the stern would be too far for the reach of the hoist so that's why the relocate.  
 :rolleyes:I also reasoned that with my swim step I'd want to lower the motor on the side of my boat anyway.

hdevera

I have just received the garhauer lifting davit and am thinking of mounting the "ball" base at the top of my starboard stern.  It slopes similar to the one pictured here:  http://catalina42.org/wwwboard/messages/80.html .  

Another site I was thinking of mounting the base "ball"  was actually on the stern pulpit seat.  If I mounted it correctly, it might not be in the way.  I also could remove it most of the time and place it only when using the lift.  An advantage would be I would not have to drill any holes in the hull.  

Has anyone had any trouble mounting the base or had any problems with mounting on the hull.  I likely will choose a location similar to the one pictured in the website above.

Hal

Paul Blumenfeld

I just got one a month ago and probably mounted it like "sail4dale" on a Mark I.   My only concern in mounting "on the slope" would be having the tube come off the base from any upward pressure.  Otherwise it works great. Best purchase this summer!
Ali'ikai #312
Channel Islands, CA

Ron Hill

Bill : There was a very nice article (w/picture) written by Henry Heck in the C34 Tech section of the MAINSHEET Nov 2002, on how he mounted his Garhauer  motor lifting davit on his MK II C34!   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Bill Jenks

I ended up mounting the base on the starboard seat on the swim step. I mounted the ring to the stern rail just to starboard of the swim ladder. I did this last summer. It work great. The base is not in the way. I mounted the stern rail motor mount on the port side stern rail. The lift can easily pick up the motor and move it to the dingy and back. As an added benifit the pole of the lift (when in place) makes a great hand hold when using the swim step to get in or out of the dingy. I also made a sunbrella bag to store the lift and tackle in so that I can put it away when not in use.
Bill Jenks
Treasurer C34IA
BOB San Juan 21 #19
Tacoma WA

Ron Hill

Paul : I had your same concern.  I drilled and taped a small hole for a #8 bolt 1/2" long.  It screws into the space in the under side of the"ball".  I also put a nut that acts as a jam nut on the bolt to keep it from backing out.  
The bolt insures that the lower "pipe" section can not come off inadvertently when you lift off the top half.  :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Ron's idea for the pole base is very important.  It's a bummer if you drop the bottom pole half overboard!  :)  You need to be careful of that.

Another use we've found for the hoist is to use it to lower and raise the gas tank.  I used to keep the 6 gallon tank only half full.  Then, light bulb flash, I realized the hoist could easily handle a full tank (6 gallons times about 9 pounds per gallon is less than the weight of my motor).  Just tie a loop of short line around the tank handle.

I also replaced the Garhauer carabiner with a larger stainless steel snap hook which goes through the handle on the Davis motor handle with less hassle.  Found some other use for the carabiner.

hdevera

Decided to first try placing the base "ball"  on the edge of the port stern seat.  To my pleasant surprise, the lifting davit works great from there.  I don't have to use the extension tubing for the davit, if I don't want.  The only issue may be whether the ring attached to the stern rail (which stabilizes the davit tube) gets in the way when sailing and perched on the stern seat.  I don't think it will be an issue, but time will tell.  This location prevents me from having to put additional holes in the hull.  Right now, I highly recommend this location for those with MKII boats.  I'll take some pictures soon and place it in the projects site.

Chouse

I installed mine yesterday. I settled on the port side swim step seat. about 4" in from the opening. I had to grind down the edge of the base slightly to fit the fillet between the seat and the transom wall. I used silicon for a bedding compound.

The installation was quick and painless.