Drippless

Previous topic - Next topic

Stewartn

Catalina #1472, '34 MK II, built o/a 2000.
I am curious as to what other members did with the maintenance and/or replacement of the Drippless fitting. This one has worked flawlessly since I purchased the boat in 2008. It is soft, pliable to the touch, has plenty of tension, does not leak, etc. Boatyard says "don't make waves". But, I see all those ads, etc. about 10 yr replacement. BTW, I called PYY Dripless and asked. Said if it doesn't leak and has tension, no stiffening of the rubber - Go with it. What say other owners? Thanks.
Stewart Napoleon
Desiree
Old Greenwich Yacht Club
Greenwich, CT
Stewart Napoleon, Hull #1472, Desiree
Greenwich, CT

Jeff Tancock

I reluctantly replaced mine a month ago.
I installed it in 1998 and it looked fine, but I read about the need to replace it.
When I first bought I was told that it would last at least 20 years, then a some years ago I read that it should be replaced sooner at maybe 12-14 years. Then 2 years ago I phoned them and the guy said they recommended replacing the bellows after 6 years!
I'm thinking they are worried about liability issues maybe?
Out of concern for insurance coverage I went ahead and changed it out when I hauled for my bottom. When I inspected it after it was removed I was not surprised to see that it was just fine. No sign of any stiffening or wear.
Didn't need to be changed, but it had to be done eventually anyway. I don't expect to be doing it again in 6 years though.....
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp