Holding Tank

Previous topic - Next topic

Vic Suben

Just before Surprise was hauled at the end of last season, I had the harbor's pump out boat pump out the holding tank.  When I started to replace the holding tank's hoses, I found there is still stuff in the tank.  So i guess the pump out boat is not up to the task of getting everything out of the tank.  I am looking for suggestions as to how to remove the remaining bad stuff (probably several gallons) from the tank.
Thanks,

Vic Suben 8)
Vic
Surprise, Hull No. 453

Exodus

It is pretty much impossible to get every drop of liquid pumped out of the tank.  If you have or want to add an inspection port on the top you could use a wet/dry vac to remove the rest.  It would also be an opportune time to "test" your macerator to make sure that it is functioning properly.

KWKloeber

Quote from: Vic Suben on April 16, 2015, 04:33:17 AM
Just before Surprise was hauled at the end of last season, I had the harbor's pump out boat pump out the holding tank.  When I started to replace the holding tank's hoses, I found there is still stuff in the tank.  So i guess the pump out boat is not up to the task of getting everything out of the tank.  I am looking for suggestions as to how to remove the remaining bad stuff (probably several gallons) from the tank.
Thanks,

Vic Suben 8)

I added a wet trap fabricated from pvc fittings after my (C30) tank outlet so that the last drop gets sucked out.  Otherwise, the pump out sucks (figuratively) as soon as it sucks (literally) the LOP* down to just below the top of the outlet fitting.

*(level of poo)

Cheers,
kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

mregan

Before you disconnect the hoses, cut away the wood supports holding the tank in place.  Disconnect any hoses you can to give you some play in the tank.  Then pick up the end of the tank so all the water/waste slides down to the opposite side.  Even just a couple of inches should be good.  Then cut the hoses close to the tank, tape the ends and pull the tank out.  You can then dump whatever is left in a trash bag and you can wash out the tank.  Then re-install the tank and re-pipe.
I did it this way when I replaced my tank this winter and didn't have any spillage.

Vic Suben

Thanks for the replies,

Using a wet/dry vac sounds interesting, but they are fairly expensive.  Would I have to throw the vac away when I'm done with this task?

Vic
Vic
Surprise, Hull No. 453

Vic Suben

Thanks for the replies,

Using a wet/dry vac sounds interesting, but they are fairly expensive.  Would I have to throw the vac away when I'm done with this task?

Vic
Vic
Surprise, Hull No. 453

mregan

I'd vacuum up a 5 gallon bucket or two of water or a water/soap mix to help clean it out.  You can clean out the vacuum bucket/chamber by just taking the top off.  It's really just the hose that you would have trouble cleaning.

sailaway

I pumped my holding tank and had to replace some hoses, I got all of the stuff out but 2 cups. I put lots of paper towels down to catch the stuff. sounds like the marina guys didn't get it all out. Charlie

Ken Juul

I cut the bottom off a gallon water jug so that it would fit under the macerator outlet hose.  Put a towel under it just for insurance.  Cracked the hose off enough to get some leakage.  When the jug was full, hose back on, empty, repeat until tank empty.  Tried the wet/dry vac once.  Had to but a new foam filter, could never get the stink out, even after several washings.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Fred Koehlmann

Oh, I'm so glad our marina has a pump out connected to the city sewer system. When we pump out, we finish off with water sucked in through the vent opening. Their pump out hose has a clear hose section, and when you see the brown stuff turn to clear, you're pretty sure that all the questionable stuff is out.

I do like the idea of a trap at the tank output. To bad I'm too close to the bulkhead.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

KWKloeber

Quote from: Fred Koehlmann on April 18, 2015, 07:28:42 PM
Oh, I'm so glad our marina has a pump out connected to the city sewer system. When we pump out, we finish off with water sucked in through the vent opening. Their pump out hose has a clear hose section, and when you see the brown stuff turn to clear, you're pretty sure that all the questionable stuff is out.

I do like the idea of a trap at the tank output. To bad I'm too close to the bulkhead.

A clear section is SOOO handy.  I'm going to get a 1-1/2" sch 80 clear pvc nipple that will screw into the deck fitting, and screw or cement a female adapter on the end -- so that I have my own if the pump out doesn't have one.  Will keep it short (3" nipple?) so the moment arm is short.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain