below deck autopilot

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisOB

the last couple, thanks again.
1986 MK1 Tall rig/Fin Keel #247

Jon W

If the shelf is bonded to the starboard hull in the aft locker, I don't have that shelf in my 1987. Looks like a diesel can sitting there. Could be a PO used it to store extra fuel? As an FYI I am bonding a support structure for a new dual tank propane locker slightly inboard of that spot.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Stu Jackson

That shelf on the starboard side on our boat is used to hold the compressor for the refrigerator.  Do you have a fridge?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

Chris— The folks with older boats then mine (1990) may have a better read on what was OEM for your hull number. My Water tank sits on a factory molded gelcoat shelf/notch which is part of the hull liner. My Reefer compressor is mounted on a wood shelf on the starboard side.  The aft lazarette has a full width, two part, removable shelf that covers it all, upon which sits my propane box, manual bilge pump and a large Halotron fire extinguisher.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Sundance

Unrelated to the auto pilot, but how did you get the aft water tank out?  Last year I replaced my refrigeration compressor and wanted to access through the aft birth, but after struggling to get the water tank out for over an hour I said forget it.
Jeff
2001 C34 #1581
"Sundance"
Sandusky, OH

Noah

Revised Steps: (deleted "easy-peasy" and added some steps)!
1. Drain tank
2. Remove aft bulkhead
3. Unhook water hoses
4. Move throttle and gearshift cables out of the way
5. If wires in the way disconnect. I rerouted mine so not an issue.
5. Pull it up and forward (being careful not damage hose barbs still on tank)
...And out it comes. This worked for me, but as they say "your mileage may vary"
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

ChrisOB

I believe I am #247, and I think that makes me and 86 and a half.  My regi says 86 but the hand carved serial# on the stern ends in 87.  I also have all 3 water tanks which i think is rare (bow, starboard and aft).  My shelf is a rudimentary version of yours, it is some type of ply with a little glass around it.  It is totally sagged and unsupported in the middle, and the tank would have crumbled it had the front of the tank not been resting on the fiberglass tab.  the shelf looks as if it may have at some point lined up with the glass tab but now it is 2" below.  i should have taken a better photo but my buddy really wanted to photo op it and we had to get home to the wives.   in other news, i found that getting the raymarine type1 linear drive and upgrading to the ACU-200 can save me money.  $2150 on sale from one of the websites.  (including the rudder sensor, still need the edson tiller arm).  My hope is to build up the existing shelf and maybe tie it into the 4x4's under the sole with some stainless chainplate.  i think i'll have to rebuild the whole water tank shelf.  thanks again for your input.

ChrisOB

Stu- I have a fridge, it is located in front of the starboard water tank.  It has some louvered vents cut and works well in the NY climate, i am a little worried about the islands.   I also have no idea how old it is.  It doesnt have the computer circuit board with the lights (it an alder barbour).  It makes ice easily.  wondering if getting the new supercold would draw less amps and work better.  Not sure if i have to change out the evaporator to do that.  My boat was originally ANDROMEDA, NY - then - FROG PRINCE, CT (i think he has a bigger catalina now), then DRIFTWOOD, CT.  I have returned her to ANDROMEDA.

ChrisOB

Also please excuse my friend, here is my wife and I enjoying this amazing boat.

ChrisOB

Jeff- Once I disconnected and labeled all the electronics i found it easier to disconnect the throttle and shift cables from the engine rather than from the pedestal, and just pull them through enough to give you slack to slide the tank out.  Heat gun is your only friend on the water tank fittings (3).

ChrisOB

So it sounds like the shelf I have in the aft lazarette that lines up with the post (or would line up with the edson tiller that sticks aft), is the shelf others have the reefer on.  Long story short is i want to beef shelf that up and put a Raymarine Type 1 Linear drive upside down on the underside of it.

lazybone

I couldn't help but notice that you stopped using your hair.  Would you mind sending it along to me?
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Sundance

Thanks for the reply.  All that disconnecting and reconnecting went through my head, but I also have the electronics cables to worry about.  It seemed as though that would take as long as my original project, installing the refrigeration.  At least I know I'm not crazy or missing something on the "easy" removal of the aft water tank.
Jeff
2001 C34 #1581
"Sundance"
Sandusky, OH

ChrisOB

Spoke to a few folks who said the Ray mechanical is good.  Ordered on sale (see pic if you want website info PM me).  I will post pics in a couple weeks after install.  Thanks everyone for your input, happy sailing.

ChrisOB

Sorry the photo was poor.  ACU-200 including rudder sensor, and Ray type 1 was $2,150 total.  Edson tiller arm is the next order.