Advice on selling C34 in Seattle

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Mobley

Hi,
We are going to have to sell our C34 that is currently docked in Seattle.   We live 600 miles away so usually only use the boat in the summer.  In early May we will spend our usual week cleaning it up and getting it ready for the season.   This year we need to sell it. 

Because we live so far away we  are thinking of using an agent rather than selling it directly ourselves.   I am interested in others experiences either pro or con.   

Any advise on specific agents or companies?

Thanks,

Bob

Clay Greene

I would at least consider your local Catalina dealer if you think your boat will show well against the competition (i.e., similar boats of a similar age and price range).  My experience was that our local dealer knew our boat well and could point out its various advantages compared to other boats.  He sold our boat on the first day the listing was official because he had shown five other boats to our purchasers and knew that our boat compared very favorably on everything but price.  I have been really surprised at how often dealers didn't know very basic facts about the boats they were showing or were overtly negative about the boats they were trying to sell.  Obviously, it all depends on the individual involved but I would at least talk to your local dealer to see if that is a good fit for you.  I had one prospective dealer tell me that it was a bad idea to go with the Catalina dealer because I would be competing with new boats but I don't think that makes sense because the price points are so different. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Stu Jackson

With that kind of distance, yes it makes sense.  However, since your boat is so "popular" you might want to consider trying to sell her yourself to a "knowledgeable" boater.  Post it for sale on this forum, many folks look there if they're in the market for a Catalina 34.  Good luck, we'll miss ya.   :D  And tell the new owners about us.  Thanks.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

steven shahbaghlian

BOB,

I would speak to the folks at SIGNATURE YACHTS in Seattle. Had opportunity several months ago to discuss
the same topic and had no response from Catalina dealer and a very interested agent at Signature. They sell
boats. Her name is TORI PARROTT. She met at the boat and reviewed and provided all the info I needed. I
have decided not to sell but to spend more time using. Good luck.

Steven

Ted Pounds

I agree with Steven, a good broker is worth her weight in gold.  When I sold "Molly Rose" 12 years after I bought her my broker, Jan Guthrie, got a price only $1000 less than I paid for her.  And we closed in February!
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447