Sink Drain Thru Hull

Previous topic - Next topic

sailr4

Ok, here's one for you guys.  Anyone ever come across this craziness?  First of all the sink drain was plumbed so that the 1 inch hose took a hairpin turn under the water pump platform to attach to a elbow fitting at the thru hull.  Could have easily gone straight down with it, so I attempted to remove the elbow.  Ha!  They installed a "wall" right next to it so it will not back off.  I will either have to remove EVERYTHING or cut the fitting.  hate to sacrifice a nice marlon elbow fitting... Gotta love these 30 minute jobs.

Rob

Rob Fowler,1989 C34 #889 Tall/Wing, M25XP - No Worries, Coronado, CA

I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

KWKloeber

Quote from: sailr4 on April 03, 2015, 09:55:13 AM
Ok, here's one for you guys.  Anyone ever come across this craziness?  First of all the sink drain was plumbed so that the 1 inch hose took a hairpin turn under the water pump platform to attach to a elbow fitting at the thru hull.  Could have easily gone straight down with it, so I attempted to remove the elbow.  Ha!  They installed a "wall" right next to it so it will not back off.  I will either have to remove EVERYTHING or cut the fitting.  hate to sacrifice a nice marlon elbow fitting... Gotta love these 30 minute jobs.

Rob

Rob,

That your typical Catalina crap / Home Depot variety Sch 80 pvc elbow.  Which should NEVER EVER NO WAY be used on a thru hull.  Forespar doesn't make an elbow like that (at least now.)  A close-up shot of the 'flat" on the elbow should reveal "PVC."

I think you're looking for a 3/4" straight thread (NPS) x 1" straight barb to fit the thru hull -- that's not available from Forespar, nor is anything else from Forespar.  PM or email me your address and I'll mail you a suitable alternate.

WORD of CAUTION (belongs in Critical Upgrades) - anyone with the PVC elbows that CTY installed (or ANY PVC fittings on ANY thru hull or otherwise below the waterline) should remove and replace them.  PVC is NOT ABYC approved for below waterline use and is dangerous because they do not pass the "pull test."

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

That's the same stuff on my boat.  Been working for almost 30 years.  We just don't have that wood wall, most likely a PO mod.

Head Odors 101.1 - "T" into sink drain:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5755.msg38216.html#msg38216
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

sailr4

That makes me feel better about cutting it off.  Yea, this boat's plumbing is not good.  No double clamps on anything; Found a thru hull attached with less than a turn on the threads; This and I'm sure there is more. I removed one inch hose.  At least it was reinforced.  I can just go grab a fitting at "Worst."  1" x 1" should be standard, right? 

BTW, this is the Galley sink drain.

Rob

I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

KWKloeber

Quote from: Stu Jackson on April 03, 2015, 10:31:15 AM
Head Odors 101.1 - "T" into sink drain:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5755.msg38216.html#msg38216

Good one.  And April Fools Day back to you.  WHITE Sch 40 PVC on a thru hull?  HaHaHa.  You got me on that one.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

KWKloeber

Quote from: sailr4 on April 03, 2015, 10:33:53 AM
That makes me feel better about cutting it off.  Yea, this boat's plumbing is not good.  No double clamps on anything; Found a thru hull attached with less than a turn on the threads; This and I'm sure there is more. I removed one inch hose.  At least it was reinforced.  I can just go grab a fitting at "Worst."  1" x 1" should be standard, right? 

BTW, this is the Galley sink drain.

Rob

Is your thru hull 1" or 3/4" thread?

Forespar makes a 1" NPS x 1" barb , but not a 3/4" NPS x 1" barb.

kk

Stu Jackson

There a many posts on galley sink drains.  

Here's one of many with a lots of links.

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7597.0.html

IIRC, mine still has the 90 elbow.

My head sink drain has added double hose clamps, still working since I wrote it up 5 years ago.

We always close our thru hulls when not onboard.  Hasn't blown off when we're on the boat.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

sailr4

I won't know the size for sure until I take it off, but I'm hoping it's 1"

Rob

Footloose

Mine had the 90* elbow also but the barbs had been cut off, probably to deal with the wall that is in the way.  Until now I could not figure out why this had been done.  The single clamp was barely holding on.  I does make it easier to remove the drain hose, but I did not think that the minuscule benefit outweighed the huge risk.  I replaced it with a straight fitting.

I also close my through hulls when I leave the boat.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Stu Jackson

Quote from: sailr4 on April 03, 2015, 10:57:24 AM

Rob

Rob. the reason I posted the link is that in ALL the galley sink drain posts/links there has been a description of the size of that thru hull.  Captain Al's in the wiki is one IIRC, if not the one I linked to.

Ron Hill

Rob : There are NUMERIOUS  WiKi and Mainsheet Tech note articles written on improvements to the C34 "pee poor" galley sink drain system installed by Catalina factory. 

These articles go back to the early 1990s!!  The information is out there, but you have to take time to read it!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: sailr4 on April 03, 2015, 10:57:24 AM

Rob

OK.  3/4" was typical (we know there's no such animal as "standard" when it comes to boat mfgrs/outfitteers.)
PM me when you find out that you can't get a Marleon fitting for it.

Cheers,
kk

sailr4

Ron, I have read a lot of posts about sink drains. Most are about changing the plumbing at the sink not the thru hull. I was not asking for advice as much as I was telling my tales of boat owner blues. Not to mention the lack of forethought of tho PO's and/or the factory.

Paulus

I changed my drain and thru hull about 12 years age.  Put in 1"1/4 .  Works great and easy to do.  Used the ideas on technical notes but increased the size.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Susan Ray

Now I am wondering...Is this a PVC fitting? I can't read anything on it..can anyone tell from the photo? And yes, I am putting on another clamp! Thanks...
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii